Will Alex Wells get a promotion to the O's rotation?

wildcard

Alex Wells has had two starts in July at AAA.   Five scoreless innings followed by six scoreless innings.  He has struck out 10 in 11 innings.  With Hyde saying that Matt Harvey will not begin the 2nd half in the rotation A Wells looks like he may get a promotion.  

The rotation may look like Lopez, Akin, Watkins, Means, A Wells two beginning the 2nd half in some order.

I think he will be promoted at some point but it’s not imminent.  

Let’s see him go on a run for awhile. I sure Harvey will back in the rotation. Just because he is not listed in KC doesn’t mean much. If they were done with him he would already be gone. 

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Alex Wells has had two starts in July at AAA.   Five scoreless innings followed by six scoreless innings.  He has struck out 10 in 11 innings.  With Hyde saying that Matt Harvey will not begin the 2nd half in the rotation A Wells looks like he may get a promotion.  

The rotation may look like Lopez, Akin, Watkins, Means, A Wells two beginning the 2nd half in some order.

When did Hyde say that? The News is welcome but overdue.

Seems as good a choice as any. Kremer still appears to be a mess. Could Akin be replaced too? Who would be next man up after Wells? Maybe Lowther or Tyler Wells with Mattson called up to the bullpen?

If you look past the 40 man, I'd like to see the backflip guy at Norfolk get a chance. 

16 minutes ago, Philip said:

“Right now it’s not set in stone, so I don’t want to announce anything, but it’s going to be however we line these guys up,” Hyde said. “I’m going to give Harvey some time off. Probably won’t pitch in that first series or maybe at the end of the first series, but we’re talking our way through that right now.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/07/hyde-on-rotation-and-elias-on-upcoming-draft.html

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

“Right now it’s not set in stone, so I don’t want to announce anything, but it’s going to be however we line these guys up,” Hyde said. “I’m going to give Harvey some time off. Probably won’t pitch in that first series or maybe at the end of the first series, but we’re talking our way through that right now.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/07/hyde-on-rotation-and-elias-on-upcoming-draft.html

It is a 3 game series. Why is he being so wishy washy on a guy that should have been DFA'ed a month ago? 

The one thing we had hopes of as fans of this team was how the roster started taking shape in the second half of the season.

• Upvote 1

Just now, maybenxtyr said:

It is a 3 game series. Why is he being so wishy washy on a guy that should have been DFA'ed a month ago? 

The one thing we had hopes of as fans of this team was how the roster started taking shape in the second half of the season.

Really, why? What gave you that indication? Other than opening up the Latin American market the name of the owner/s is still Angelos. Elias has more room to operate than did Duquette, but have things changed all that much?

I don’t think much of Hyde, but he doesn’t have too many options and Elias is the guy who makes the decision to DFA a player.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

May as well.  The rotation currently includes Eshelmann and Harvey--two of the worst starting pitching options imaginable (that's not really hyperbole).  And then it has... checks notes... Jorge Lopez, Spenser Watkins, and a random opener?

Yes, anyone who is pitching well in AAA, and who had a pedigree like Wells, should be getting starts with the Orioles

48 minutes ago, Philip said:

I dont think he did.  He just said Harvey wouldn't start vs KC.  He wanted him to have an extra long time over the break between starts to regroup.

AFAIK, no rotation changes have been announced.  All we know is that Harvey won't start in the first 3 games vs KC, and that Means will return during the Tampa series.

• Thanks 1

They have 2 off days coming up after the Break. Play 6 games, off day, play 3 games off day. They can skip a starter one time through if they choose. 3 off days in August. At least can add a couple extra in September. Getting through August will be a chore. 

Wells has worked his way up through the system, having success at each level.  There are certainly reasons to be skeptical about his chances for success in the majors but he seems to have at least some potential beyond being a journeyman minor leaguer and would at least be interesting to follow. 

So no, we probably won't see him.

I would love to see both Alex and Tyler Wells get a shot in the rotation. The Orioles need to figure out what they have in both. I want to see all of the fringe prospect types up in the second half. I get moving slowly and delaying the clocks with the Adley and Rodriguez types. But would love to use the second half of 2021 (and the first part of 2022)( to see what we have in some of the other guys before the bigger prospects start emerging. 

I want to see Jones. Let him work on his defense up here with the big league coaches. Does it really matter if he flubs plays at 2B this year? Let's at least see if his bat can play enough to make it worthwhile to continue the learning at 2B (or finding him another position). I want to see Brett Cumberland getting starts over Severino behind the dish. Let's see if we have Adley's backup already. On the mound, lets see a rotation with A. Wells and T. Wells. We have seen enough of Harvey and Eshelman. I'm fine giving Watkins some more starts. I'm okay if Lopez stays in the rotation, though would prefer to see him in the pen. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

I was about to say this, thank you for saving me the trouble