Spenser Watkins 2021

Il BuonO

On 8/25/2021 at 11:58 AM, Tony-OH said:

Watkins' last five starts combined:

25.2 IP, 30 ER, 8 BB, 15 K, .356/.395/.610/1.006 and 10.52 ERA. Probably time to bring Wells up and send him back down. nice little story for a bit, but the clock struck 12 and Watkins is back to being a pumpkin.

Man, go back to the first page of this thread and there was some hope. That slash line is ridiculous.

Don’t feel confident that he’s the stopper, especially vs the Rays. 

6 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Man, go back to the first page of this thread and there was some hope. That slash line is ridiculous.

Don’t feel confident that he’s the stopper, especially vs the Rays. 

Your discussion with Frobby How about catchers made me wonder who has been catching Watkins. He’s had a lot of bad luck, and I am very confident that today he’s going to end the streak, win the game, strikeout five walk none and find the square root of 2.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Your discussion with Frobby How about catchers made me wonder who has been catching Watkins. He’s had a lot of bad luck, and I am very confident that today he’s going to end the streak, win the game, strikeout five walk none and find the square root of 2.

Sounds reasonable except for the "win the game" part. Unless the offense cranks it way up or Watkins goes 9 (or maybe both), the bullpen almost certainly will blow the game after he departs. It is the Rays, after all.

Hyde's got this arranged really well. When the Orioles have a lead, he's got set-up guys to bring the other team close and candidates for closer to seal the defeat if that's still needed. As a group, they rely principally on the base on balls and the down-the-middle meatball, with an occasional hit-by-pitch to show their versatility. 

30 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I think Watkins May be pitching for his roster spot. If he bombs, then Wells May take his roster spot tomorrow. 

Well I’ve been working and haven’t had much chance to follow the game, but I was about to post in the game thread that he seem to have done pretty well by himself today. I just hope he doesn’t screw it up in his inning if he comes out again

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I've seen enough.

?

he did well in innings 3-5, but at 75-ish pitches, I don’t fault Hyde for bringing him out for the 6th, although I don’t know whether Hyde had a reliever getting ready. He should have, and yanked him after the first guy got on. I hope he gets another start, but I won’t be surprised if the Decision-makers agree with you.

I used to think this organization, while not good at many things, was good at finding pitchers who, on good days, could get through the lineup one time and the Orioles would kind of still be in the game.  Not so much anymore.  Watkins gives up 3 earned runs in the first two innings.  Just a dearth of talent.

1 minute ago, Oriole1940 said:

I used to think this organization, while not good at many things, was good at finding pitchers who, on good days, could get through the lineup one time and the Orioles would kind of still be in the game.  Not so much anymore.  Watkins gives up 3 earned runs in the first two innings.  Just a dearth of talent.

Elias has only had three seasons to try and find some decent bullpen arms.  We need to be patient and give him time.

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Elias has only had three seasons to try and find some decent bullpen arms.  We need to be patient and give him time.

I’ve seriously been thinking that this is the case, Elias should get 5 years no matter what,

The only way to get talented baseball players is to

1) Draft them

2) Trade for them

3)  Sign them in free agency

The problem with 1) is that it  takes a while, 3 to 5 years being typical, sometimes even longer.  

The problem with 2) is that you need assets to trade 

The problem with 3) is you need a budget.  Or you need to identify that diamond in the rough that other teams gave given up on, that can turn the corner if given the right circumstances.  Which is very hard

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

I’ve seriously been thinking that this is the case, Elias should get 5 years no matter what,

1) Draft them

2) Trade for them

The problem with 1) is that it  takes a while, 3 to 5 years being typical, sometimes even longer.  

The problem with 3) is you need a budget.  Or you need to identify that diamond in the rough that other teams gave given up on, that can turn the corner if given the right circumstances.  Which is very hard

Seemed pretty easy for teams that claimed/signed former Orioles.

7 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

1) Draft them

2) Trade for them

Five years to build a bullpen?

Three years in and Elias has managed to produce a team that is still below average in every aspect of the game.