Spenser Watkins 2021

Il BuonO

3 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

He was a neat story and I'm happy that he had a few good moments but he was never likely to be a long term piece. I think he's earned another start or 2 but I'd be looking to give Mike Baumann his spot for the rest of the season pretty soon. 

I wonder if we will see Baumann in the majors this season.   He only has 3 starts at AAA.   Elias could easily say he needs more time at that level.

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

I wonder if we will see Baumann in the majors this season.   He only has 3 starts at AAA.   Elias could easily say he needs more time at that level.

Even though he hasn’t done well lately, I would rather see Watkins than Harvey, at least for a couple more starts, but when Zimmermann returns, the clock strikes 12 on Watkins.

more sad face…

• 2 weeks later...

Have to wonder how Watkins’ 2nd inning would have turned out if we had a real catcher behind the plate. Ya, he’s got to get over Severino’s failure to (once again) block a swinging third strike in the dirt. But gotta think the kid lost a lot of confidence in his backstop and himself when that swing n miss at a knee buckling curve ended up with a runner at first rather than the second out of the inning. 

On 8/14/2021 at 11:44 AM, Philip said:

Even though he hasn’t done well lately, I would rather see Watkins than Harvey, at least for a couple more starts, but when Zimmermann returns, the clock strikes 12 on Watkins.

more sad face…

Doubt we see Zimmermann again this year.

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Watkins' last five starts combined:

25.2 IP, 30 ER, 8 BB, 15 K, .356/.395/.610/1.006 and 10.52 ERA. Probably time to bring Wells up and send him back down. nice little story for a bit, but the clock struck 12 and Watkins is back to being a pumpkin.

To be fair, one of his starts was delayed two days, which you yourself said probably threw off his routine and, in that start, the umpire blatantly called a strike a ball, which led to a longer inning and runs scoring, And several runs, I think at least four(?) were allowed by the reliever. That doesn’t change your basic point, but it mollifies it just a little bit.