Spenser Watkins 2021

Il BuonO

7 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

I’ve seriously been thinking that this is the case, Elias should get 5 years no matter what,

The only way to get talented baseball players is to

1) Draft them

2) Trade for them

3)  Sign them in free agency

The problem with 1) is that it  takes a while, 3 to 5 years being typical, sometimes even longer.  

The problem with 2) is that you need assets to trade 

The problem with 3) is you need a budget.  Or you need to identify that diamond in the rough that other teams gave given up on, that can turn the corner if given the right circumstances.  Which is very hard

I wish I had a boss as easy as you are.  Building a bullpen within 3 years should be about the easiest thing for a GM to do.  

51 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yea, the team was weirdly inactive at the deadline this season.

There are only 2 acceptable reasons for this:

1). No one wanted your players

2) You plan on fielding a far better team in 2022 and believe these guys can be part of that pen. 

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Seems like there's always a market for relievers around the trade deadline.  Pittsburg got a nice return for ex-O Richard Rodriquez.  

It's a bit perplexing that Elias didn't pawn off one relief pitcher at the deadline. Fry doesn't have a plus arm and I would think he's player you would target to trade when he has value. 

With Scott's arm, I can understand wanting to hold onto him unless you get a wow offer. 

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It's a bit perplexing that Elias didn't pawn off one relief pitcher at the deadline. Fry doesn't have a plus arm and I would think he's player you would target to trade when he has value. 

With Scott's arm, I can understand wanting to hold onto him unless you get a wow offer. 

I have said this before, but Scott is not consistent enough to have a lot of value. Any team would be happy to have him, but no team would be willing to pay anything significant for him. As a dependable lefty, I thought Fry was much more likely to move, But now that ship has sailed as well

Edited by Philip

37 minutes ago, Philip said:

I have said this before, but Scott is not consistent enough to have a lot of value. Any team would be happy to have him, but no team would be willing to pay anything significant for him. As a dependable lefty, I thought Fry was much more likely to move, But now that ship has sailed as well

Before Fry imploded, I really thought he would return something in a trade. I don't know what's up with Fry, but I don't think it's necessarily related to him not being able to use spider tack anymore.

Fry had a 2.79 ERA in July after struggling with a 5.91 ERA in June. It could be an issue with gripping the ball and whatever worked in July isn't working now.

Also maybe it's injury related and Fry is trying pitch through it. Whatever the case he's had an epic collapse in August posting a 21.86 ERA and walking 16 batters in 7 innings pitched. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2021 at 10:14 AM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I will assume until known otherwise that Elias simply didn't get worthwhile offers from other teams.

46 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I will assume until known otherwise that Elias simply didn't get worthwhile offers from other teams.

I agree and Elias pretty well said as much. He said they had discussions but none progressed far enough to cross the finish line. 

So many posts on here saying "don't just give them away". I'm glad Elias held firm on his valuations. 

3 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

I agree and Elias pretty well said as much. He said they had discussions but none progressed far enough to cross the finish line. 

So many posts on here saying "don't just give them away". I'm glad Elias held firm on his valuations. 

Scott I would have held onto unless the right deal was in place but Fry....you take the best offer you get even if you don't love it.  Even before the downturn he's your classic fungible reliever.  Trade marginal value now for the chance at future value.  Did anyone think Fry was going to be a key cog in the next competitive team?

Scott at least still has a high ceiling, even if it is looking less and less likely he'll reach it.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Scott I would have held onto unless the right deal was in place but Fry....you take the best offer you get even if you don't love it.  Even before the downturn he's your classic fungible reliever.  Trade marginal value now for the chance at future value.  Did anyone think Fry was going to be a key cog in the next competitive team?

Scott at least still has a high ceiling, even if it is looking less and less likely he'll reach it.

I agree with all of that but not knowing what was offered, there's no way to know whether any reasonable deal was in place. Even with the low standard you're suggesting. 

I saw stuff a year ago suggesting they believed Scott had more ceiling to reach. Seems reasonable to value him that way although this year would have to be considered a set back. And Scott went on the IL within days (or a week maybe) of the deadline. They may have known that was on the way and could have been a factor that nullified a deal knowing he wasn't fully healthy at that point.