Orioles trade Armstrong to Tampa for cash considerations

Sports Guy

Just now, Ohfan67 said:

He was DFA'd on June 4th. Cleared waivers on June 11th. 

So, on June 4 there wasn't a single team in baseball that was willing to claim him.  But, on July 30 we were able to pull in some cash?  How is that dumb or bad?

• Upvote 3

Just now, NCRaven said:

Armstrong is one of those dime a dozen right-handed relievers and we actually got something for him.  Does anyone think that another team would actually give up a prospect for Armstrong?  No way.

I think the question is more why the rays wanted him. They have a roster crunch too. The most likely response is that they saw his k rate And thought they could do something with him.

And remember, “cash considerations “could be $100 million, and that’s not nothing.

2 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

He passes through waivers just over a month ago. Other teams weren't even willing to pay his salary six or seven weeks ago. 

They weren't willing to pay his salary AND devote a 40 man roster spot to him.  Tampa doesn't have to put him on the 40, this was a minor league deal, right?

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It will be interesting to see if Armstrong develops into an effective bullpen arm with the Rays. But, I really hope there are other trades made by Elias today and this isn't the highlight of the trade deadline for the Orioles. 

Every time a trade happens, I wonder if that decreases the value of the guys we have on the block. Seattle has acquired a couple of relievers, but they also lost one to an 80 game suspension.

Their roster reveals a single left-handed reliever( with a 5.48 ERA)but 3 left-handed starters.

They also have a really lousy first baseman, heading .216 with three home runs, and they got HIM off waivers from the Indians.

DiPoto should be sending Mike flowers and chocolates every day.

Sounds right. Wouldn't be surprised if he finds some success in Tampa, if they choose to put him on their 40-man. He's shown flashes but has had a really sporadic career. Reminds me of when we traded Dan Straily a couple years ago. Both terrible this year at the ML level, got onto a roll at AAA and some team said we'll take him.  

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

So, on June 4 there wasn't a single team in baseball that was willing to claim him.  But, on July 30 we were able to pull in some cash?  How is that dumb or bad?

I don't see it as bad...don't think you are asking me. 

Armstrong had a 3.18 ERA at Norfolk, so he probably looked much better. If the Orioles didn't plan to give him a roster spot, then getting something in return for him is better than just paying him a ML salary to pitch at Norfolk. 

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Every time a trade happens, I wonder if that decreases the value of the guys we have on the block. Seattle has acquired a couple of relievers, but they also lost one to an 80 game suspension.

Their roster reveals a single left-handed reliever( with a 5.48 ERA)but 3 left-handed starters.

They also have a really lousy first baseman, heading .216 with three home runs, and they got HIM off waivers from the Indians.

DiPoto should be sending Mike flowers and chocolates every day.

With all the trades that have gone down already it does make you think how many trades will go down today. A number of relievers are going to get traded today and that will include at least one or more Orioles relievers. 

I think Trey's chance of getting traded today has gone down with all the 1B/DH types that were traded this week. And if Armstrong can get traded there is still a chance for Matt Harvey to get dealt for a DSL player. 

9 minutes ago, SteveA said:

They weren't willing to pay his salary AND devote a 40 man roster spot to him.  Tampa doesn't have to put him on the 40, this was a minor league deal, right?

Good point. Although I suspect they have to pay the rest of his 850k salary. They can stash him at AAA as insurance, but he's not cheap insurance and the Rays' budget is very tight. 

Armstrong pitched relatively well for Norfolk after being sent down.   He’s had some decent stretches for us in the past.   Who knows, maybe he’ll get a call-up at some point and have a few good weeks. Stranger things have happened.