Richie Martin's range and arm

wildcard

Richie has essentially lost two years of development due to injury and COVID. He needs to play everyday, somewhere. He might be a 40 man drop, but he will have no trouble getting a job, hopefully stays in the organization. He just never seems comfortable in any facet of the game at the major league level. He needs to be able to relax and slow the game down.

I see grades on Mateo’s arm being a 60, and I think that is about right. Again, another guy that just needs to get comfortable and trust his game. When he has no time to think, I like his actions. The routine plays, like a lot of guys, he seems to guide the ball rather than just throw it. He has not played much in a few years either, not in games, and not much of his little time on the field was spent on the dirt. So, it may not be pretty, at times, but the right thing to do is to see him at SS the rest of the year as much as possible. Being out of options, they have no choice but to play him and make their evaluation. Definitely a guy that needs to play Winter ball in the Caribbean. 

• Upvote 1

I just don't believe in Martin's swing or his offense in general. Mateen's problem seems to be more about pitch selection.  They are both fast but Mateo appears dynamic.  I don't feel like Martin is ever a solid everyday regular.  Matel at least teases that potential for me.