Chris Davis retires!

MurphDogg

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

...Pretty sure Davis retired.  Not the other way around.  I don't think the ownership "got rid of him" and that Elias convinced them to do it.  Had the Orioles released Davis, I'd agree.  

Most like Davis had a conversation with Boras telling him that he's unable to play baseball anymore because of his deteriorating hip.

Boras then negotiated a settlement with the Orioles where Davis still gets paid what's promised in his contract, while it restructures the payments over a longer time period to benefit the Orioles. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

So it seems the Orioles have locked themselves into paying Davis his full 2022 salary even if half the season is lost to a work stoppage. 

As frugal as the organization has been when it comes to payroll since Elias took over, this probably reveals something about what Orioles ownership and the front office think about the chances of a work stoppage.

15 minutes ago, Philip said:

Brandon Kline was a class act. I hope he is doing very well.

I was about to disagree with you, but then I realized I was thinking about Steve Kline, the jerk we signed as a free agent who wasn't very good and talked about how Baltimore wasn't a great baseball town.

You are right, Brandon Kline was a good guy, despite being a UVa alum.   He was in our system quite a while and finally made the majors, and just wasn't QUITE good enough to stick around, which is a shame.

32 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Or it's that the present value of paying someone $10 today is more than paying them $2 over each of the next five years.

That's true. The Orioles' decisions have been, and continue to be, consistent with either following an extreme version of the Houston Plan or planning to sell the team. I think the latter is more likely because somebody in the organization, even if it's not someone named Angelos is smart enough to understand that the team's extreme stinginess on MLB payroll is destroying the Oriole fan base, and that reviving that fan base will be very difficult -- this ain't Houston.

Pretty soon the team's decisions about spending (or not spending) will reflect where the Orioles are headed.  We'll see whether the Orioles are willing and financially able to follow the Houston Plan by increasing payroll substantially through trades and free agent signings. I don't think that's going to happen, but we'll see.  

9 minutes ago, Philip said:

So the REAL result of this is:

1) additional roster spot. Yay

2) Now more whining about how useless Davis is. Yay

3)………..that’s it.

so yeah…

Exactly, and maybe a couple bucks saved due to the time value of money. 

This could have happened 2 years ago.

8 minutes ago, Philip said:

So the REAL result of this is:

1) additional roster spot. Yay

2) Now more whining about how useless Davis is. Yay

3)………..that’s it.

so yeah…

1)  We get to appreciate what he was to the Orioles competitive teams of the mid decade.  We get to celebrate his career and how he made it from failed prospect to one of the most feared hitters in MLB. 

....then all that other stuff.

Somehow, I feel like the entire Chris Davis fiasco is my fault.  A good friend of mine is a business associate of Scott Boras, and he got me a free, framed Chris Davis autographed jersey after the '15 season.  During the free agency period, I selfishly hoped that the O's would re-sign him so I could proudly display my jersey (I probably would've put it in storage if he'd signed with, say, the Yankees).  I got my wish, and the rest is (mostly bad) history.  Be careful what you ask for, folks....

That being said, he provided a lot of great moments in Baltimore and I wish him well in retirement.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, deward said:

The big contract turned out to be a predictable disaster, of course, but he was a blast to watch in his good years. Some of his bombs are on my list of favorite O's memories, and who can forget the pitching performance in Fenway? I won't have much difficulty remembering the good over the bad.

He’s now known for owing the worst contract in Os history. Probably biggest bust overtaking Glenn Davis.