If you could have any O's HoFer added to this franchise right now...

Moose Milligan

Which Orioles Hall of Famer would you add to the current roster?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Which Orioles Hall of Famer would you add to the current roster?

• SP Jim Palmer
    • 3B Brooks Robinson
    • RF Frank Robinson
    • 1B Eddie Murray
    • SS Cal Ripken

I think this is a thread we have about once a year, usually in the offseason.  But things are pretty bad/boring right now so here it is.

If you could have any O's HoFer added to the team right now, who would it be?  You can hop in the time machine and bring one of our 5 Cooperstown members back and add them to this team.  I'm leaving out greats like Roberto Alomar who wasn't here long enough and Mike Mussina for @Tony-OH's sanity.  Gotta have an Orioles hat on your HoF plaque.  

Let's say for arguments sake that you get the player at age 25, so you're going to be able to add them for the prime of their careers.

Your choices are:

SP Jim Palmer

3B Brooks Robinson

RF Frank Robinson

1B Eddie Murray

SS Cal Ripken

• Haha 2

This is a tough one for me.  We could easily use any of them, probably except Eddie.  And even then, if someone picked Eddie it wouldn't be at terrible choice.  He'd be an easy upgrade over Mountcastle/Mancini.  But 1B isn't the biggest position of need.

I think I gotta go with Palmer.  We need a top of the rotation starter more than anything, IMO.  If you had Palmer, Means and then G-Rod and Hall on the horizon, that's pretty good.  

After that, I'm not sure.  It'd be close between Cal, Brooks and Frank.  We need a 3rd baseman, we need a SS.  And while we have a lot of outfielders in the organization, none of them can touch Frank.  

Palmer easily.   If we invest enough, we can usually find enough quality bats to have a good enough offense.  But finding (stable) quality starting pitching for this franchise has been next to impossible since Mussina left.   I'm not talking about guys having a good year or two, I'm talking about having a guy who's going to put up solid numbers for 7-8 years.  And Palmer did that for 10+ years after his age 25 season.    

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Imagine what it would be like to have world class pitching again.  

When was it 1971 when we had McNally Palmer and the gang? I was 8. Can’t remember that far back.

But I can sure remember Manny, and Brooks was even better.