Connolly article on pitching

Sports Guy

22 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I think that what the Mets did to Rocker was far worse than teams holding back players to control their service time.

Interesting take.

The way I see it passing a physical is part of the process.  The Mets relinquished their rights to Rocker and he can feel free to go back to school, playing Japan, play in an indy league or simply reenter the draft next year.

He could have taken a physical and gave the results to teams that expressed interest in drafting him prior to the draft.  He chose not to.

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He is….but that still doesn’t change what I said.  He is a very over the top optimistic guy.  Nothing wrong with having that mindset but it’s not realistic.  Talking about Wells being a starter 3 years ago in the lower minors really doesn’t mean anything.

His defense is basically, everything will work out fine, blah blah blah.  It’s just not realistic at all.  

It’s funny because you used to shit on Wells in the beginning. Then you were a big fan LOL. And now you’re back where you started. Your comment earlier that they don’t have the trust in him to make him a starter just shows how little you actually know. You are unequivocally the biggest know it all (and often wrong) condescending person in this forum. In nearly every statistic; whiff rate, K% bb/k, spin rate, whip, era+ TWells is near the top of the LEAGUE. You grossly underestimate what he’s accomplished and you mark these words, he will be a huge part of this staff going forward. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Wells' uncle has entered the chat.  

Nah but I lived in Cedar Rapids when he was there and I followed him the whole way. He definitely is starter material. And Sports guy is a jerk to many. Sorry if that hurts (not really)

Just now, milbest77 said:

I like that Connolly calls out the lack of pitching in the organization. Now we can watch as the other media members slobber all over Elias today as he continues to BS us all. 

Connolly writes for the Athletic.

They obviously have a strong anti-Oriole biased over there.

Not going to see fair reporting out of any of their folks.

14 minutes ago, 27outs said:

It’s funny because you used to shit on Wells in the beginning. Then you were a big fan LOL. And now you’re back where you started. Your comment earlier that they don’t have the trust in him to make him a starter just shows how little you actually know. You are unequivocally the biggest know it all (and often wrong) condescending person in this forum. In nearly every statistic; whiff rate, K% bb/k, spin rate, whip, era+ TWells is near the top of the LEAGUE. You grossly underestimate what he’s accomplished and you mark these words, he will be a huge part of this staff going forward. 

First of all, I was never against Wells.  I preferred Pop to him but I was fine with Wells.  Scerelor was the one I was against.

Secondly, I said about a month ago that they should give him some starts this year but the injury may have hurt that.  But they aren’t in any way ramping up his innings to start him.  That’s just a fact.  Do you feel he is about to make a start given the lack of innings he has thrown?

He hasn’t been a full time starter in years and he wasn’t exactly super young for the level he started at.  The team may make him a starter next year, that’s possible but I would have thought, with the improvement he showed, that he would have gotten starts this year.

Not to mention, just the overall lack of innings in 2021 after having none on 2020 and having TJ surgery wouldn’t make anyone think he is ready to throw 130-170 innings next year.

3 minutes ago, 27outs said:

Nah but I lived in Cedar Rapids when he was there and I followed him the whole way. He definitely is starter material. And Sports guy is a jerk to many. Sorry if that hurts (not really)

Tell us something we don't know.  But he also doesn't care and would tell you as much.  

Wells has been the one pleasant surprise for the staff this year not named Means.  No doubt about it.

7 minutes ago, 27outs said:

Although I don’t disagree with your point, he only has 45 innings this season?

45 good innings does not a career make.

On the other hand, Akin has 58 innings and I’m about ready to close the book on him. I guess small sample sizes are more encouraging when they are positive.

On the OTHER hand, Mike Wright got 250 innings of terrible pitching.

I’m happy to try Wells as a starter.