Santander in August

Sports Guy

45 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I’d imagine they try to trade him this offseason. 

+1. He should still be a decent value at Arb2 salary. Trading him in the offseason makes sense. Another possibility would be to trade him at the deadline and then bring up Stowers who may be ready by then. 

As always, depends on the package.    I don't think they'd get a lot but you never know.   What are the chances of him 1) staying healthy and 2) putting up a big first half or whole year next year?    Probably not good but I think I'd wait until next year or next offseason.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

As always, depends on the package.    I don't think they'd get a lot but you never know.   What are the chances of him 1) staying healthy and 2) putting up a big first half or whole year next year?    Probably not good but I think I'd wait until next year or next offseason.

One thing that having a lot of OFers gets the O's is they don't have to play OFers hurt.  IL them and let them rehab until they are completely well.   McKenna's AAA season, Neustrom and Stowers adds that depth.

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Elias has not problem with trading popular players if he thinks it helps the term long term. Villar and Iglesias were both guys the fans wanted to keep.  It didn't matter to Elias.

Those guys are nothing compared to Mancini. I mean nobody even saw Iglesias play in person. 

27 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Exactly. If they got a #3 starter back that would be a trade they would almost have to make at this point. Its all about the return. 

Good question.  This will be good test for how much autonomy Elias has.  From a baseball perspective everything points to moving Mancini and his growing salary.   It's easy.  They just make it look like they are doing him a favor.  LOL

Santander is getting back to where he should be. I’m not sure what he gets in arbitration, but it should not be too big a hit considering his struggles in 2021, injury or not. He should definitely be back unless a great return is offered. 

Stewart should be out, and McKenna up. Neustrom has a shot to make the club out of Spring Training as well, but likely will be sent down to AAA to begin the year. Not because they are gaming his contract status, just to get more experience. 

Mancini should be moved for a reasonable deal. His salary should be $10 million plus in 2022. They have Mountcastle at 1B, and can use any number of others at DH. They need that money to bring in pitchers and a solid veteran back up catcher.

I think it is possible Sevy comes back, and I hate the idea. Wynns is better behind the plate, generally, but his bat is anemic. Cumberland’s best tool is getting HBP, and below average defense. Ciuffo has been hurt nearly all of 2021, so not one to count on. Catching is a disaster, until Adley gets here. They have to address this. Sevy is a losing catcher. His immaturity and lack of desire greatly hampers this team. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Have you read where John Angelos has stopped Elias from any player moves?

I haven't, hence the question mark. But I could see Mancini being a case where that could happen. Certainly Peter seemed to be involved in the Chris Davis contract beyond the typical ownership. 

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I haven't, hence the question mark. But I could see Mancini being a case where that could happen. Certainly Peter seemed to be involved in the Chris Davis contract beyond the typical ownership. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but I kinda remember reading stuff that so and so would not be traded because they are a fan favorite during Peter's time.  I think that publicly the word was that Mancini was a available even at this past trade deadline.  Just saying. 

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I kinda remember reading stuff that so and so would not be traded because they are a fan favorite during Peter's time.  I think that publicly the word was that Mancini was a available even at this past trade deadline.  Just saying. 

As long as Angelos meddles, O’s are doomed

The Baltimore owner still vetoes major trades to keep his favorite players in town regardless of the preferences of the men he has running his team. He'll still blow up any deal, free agent signing or draft pick if he feels like it. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

What clear indication have you seen of ownership meddling since Mike Elias was signed? I have not seen any. I always assume there is some, behind the scenes, but there has not been any moment where I have seen a signature Angelos impediment to team functionality. This is just a dark time in Orioles’ history. But it is always darkest before the dawn. 

1 minute ago, Jammer7 said:

What clear indication have you seen of ownership meddling since Mike Elias was signed? I have not seen any. I always assume there is some, behind the scenes, but there has not been any moment where I have seen a signature Angelos impediment to team functionality. This is just a dark time in Orioles’ history. But it is always darkest before the dawn. 

I'm not saying that is happening now, but was backing up RZNJ's assertion that this type of meddling has happened in the past. I don't think the Angelos sons will block a Mancini trade, but I'm not 100% confident in that opinion. 

• Like 1