Santander in August

Sports Guy

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just when you thought Santander had dug his way out of the hole, he’s put himself right back in it.   He had his OPS all the way up to .765 on August 25, and since then has gone 3 for 37, .108/.175/.108, to sink back down to .713 overall.   

He’s just never healthy and the injuries have made him lose his athleticism quickly. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Just when you thought Santander had dug his way out of the hole, he’s put himself right back in it.   He had his OPS all the way up to .765 on August 25, and since then has gone 3 for 37, .108/.175/.108, to sink back down to .713 overall.   

I've seen him hit some bullets and have nothing to show for it the last few games.  IMO, he doesn't look bad and he's not having bad ABs.

Yesterday, for instance, he hit a 113 mph screamer that missed being homerun by about 3 feet.  Next pitch he grounds out to the third baseman.

A player is never as good as he is at his best or as bad as at his worst. Overall, I think Santander is a solid outfielder, but not a cornerstone piece. I think he lasts this offseason as I don't see his arbitration number being too high though he's also a guy that may be non-tendered in a year or two when the number starts to grow. 

He's a useful piece and one that I'd hold on to over Stewart, but he's also a guy that may get pushed out with the collection of outfielders on the horizon. I think the upside we say in August and last year is enough to hold him for a year and hope he bounces back to at least up his trade value. In the end, he's a moveable piece, but he's also someone that you could have manning a corner spot on a winning team depending on the rest of the lineup.