Yusniel Diaz - failed prospect?

Frobby

.519 OPS for the year, .606 in AA and  .489 in AAA.   Since June 30, he’s at .308 OPS.

He was out of action from May 10 to June 14, then again from July 12 to August 2.   The latest injury was turf toe, and it’s possible that’s still bothering him.  

I’m to the point of wondering if he’s worth a 40-man roster spot.   I think he’ll be a MiL 6-year free agent if we don’t protect him.  

Thoughts?

Basically with SG here.   This guy has to be considered on the chopping block soon as we have other OF coming up behind him that we need to play.........Stowers I guess being the primary example.   Ideally you give him at least 2022 to try and resurrect something.......but I think that is probably make or break for him.  He had a fantastic year in AA at the age of 21.........but that was three years ago now.  Shame that he was never really able to replicate that in our system.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Injuries have just decimated his career.  Be nice if he can get healthy in the offseason and come into ST in great shape and start to get himself back into the player many thought he could be.

But hard to believe that happens at this point.

I’ve seen him look really impressive in some spring training at bats.   He’s a pretty imposing presence.   But yeah, always getting hurt.   

I'm not saying Patrick Corbin is a guy we should target, but if we do target some team's salary dump/reclamation project and something is required in the trade where the other team would obviously be eating money, Diaz is a logical trade chip/flyer for such a deal. He could be a classic change of scenery guy.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I'm not saying Patrick Corbin is a guy we should target, but if we do target some team's salary dump/reclamation project and something is required in the trade where the other team would obviously be eating money, Diaz is a logical trade chip/flyer for such a deal. He could be a classic change of scenery guy.

Hasn't he already had a change of scenery? How did that work out?

3 minutes ago, panick said:

Hasn't he already had a change of scenery? How did that work out?

I didn't say he'd be a stud for another team. I'm saying that if you need to trade someone, don't want to give up real value, but they want to have a lottery ticket, then it might be the right type of fit.

That's why I mentioned someone like Corbin. He's owed something like $70 million over the next 3 years and he has the worst ERA of any qualifying pitcher in MLB this year. If the Nats trade him, they'd have to eat the vast majority of that salary. Some return would be required in the deal. It couldn't be a Westburg/Stowers type. I wouldn't even want to give someone like Watson. I'd use Diaz in that type of deal. 

He's never really showed anything with the O's but I think Elias believes he's a player if he can stay healthy.  I think you keep him on the 40 man and hope he has a healthy year next year before making a final decision on him.

• Upvote 1

Diaz looks like a player who is very bored with being in the minor leagues. He doesn't play like he's having any fun and is the epitome of a guy who looks likes he's going through the motions. 

At the same time, he still has no plan at the plate and and has never learned to have one. He still swings at the bad sliders away in situations where he should know that pitch is coming. 

He might be a guy that needs a change of scenery again, but honestly, I think he's just a guy who was overrated all along and who is injury riddled.

• Upvote 1

The fact that this guy was the crown jewel of the sell off is great example of why we are where we are right now. I gotta say though, I am shocked that he's been this bad. When I saw him at Bowie/ST he always looked like a big leaguer. Good arm, strong guy with some pop. Injuries really can just completely ruin a prospect especially if they pile up. I fear the same with Santander and Hays. 

1 minute ago, LTO's said:

The fact that this guy was the crown jewel of the sell off is great example of why we are where we are right now. I gotta say though, I am shocked that he's been this bad. When I saw him at Bowie/ST he always looked like a big leaguer. Good arm, strong guy with some pop. Injuries really can just completely ruin a prospect especially if they pile up. I fear the same with Santander and Hays. 

You mean the inability of Elias and company to develop him?  ? 

There has to be something going on with lingering injuries. Hard to completely give up on a potential five tool type of talent. What's the downside to keeping him on for another year? That said he's had plenty of opportunities. It was almost like he flipped a switch when joining our system and decided to stop producing.