Yusniel Diaz - failed prospect?

Frobby

23 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

What's the downside to keeping him on for another year?

Soon... maybe not now, but soon...  the wave of talent pushing forward in the system is going to make positions on the 40, precious.

It's going to be a good problem to have.... but a problem nevertheless

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

I didn't say he'd be a stud for another team. I'm saying that if you need to trade someone, don't want to give up real value, but they want to have a lottery ticket, then it might be the right type of fit.

That's why I mentioned someone like Corbin. He's owed something like $70 million over the next 3 years and he has the worst ERA of any qualifying pitcher in MLB this year. If the Nats trade him, they'd have to eat the vast majority of that salary. Some return would be required in the deal. It couldn't be a Westburg/Stowers type. I wouldn't even want to give someone like Watson. I'd use Diaz in that type of deal. 

If we're taking on even part of a bad contract like Corbin, we should be the ones getting prospects back.  

Looks like Diaz is already on the 40 man?   Maybe we should just give him a shot soon and see what happens.   If Tony is right that it's more about him not being motivated.  Maybe a sudden shock to his system would wake him up.   

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You are given a choice this winter.  D.J. Stewart or Yusniel Diaz?   Who stays on the 40 man?

Ugh, woof.  

I'd go with...DJ Stewart.  Not great, but he's a known quantity of sorts.  He probably is what he is at this point, but maybe he can become a better hitter.  He gets on base at a good clip and once or twice a summer he can go on a tear.  

Diaz hasn't proven anything.  He's always hurt.  DJ Stewart gets hurt a lot, too, but at least he's done something (even if it's not great) at the ML level.  

That said, I'm not particularly excited about that choice.

4 hours ago, LTO's said:

The fact that this guy was the crown jewel of the sell off is great example of why we are where we are right now. I gotta say though, I am shocked that he's been this bad. When I saw him at Bowie/ST he always looked like a big leaguer. Good arm, strong guy with some pop. Injuries really can just completely ruin a prospect especially if they pile up. I fear the same with Santander and Hays. 

I'll give you one thing, you are consistent. I mean there is no basis in reality to your anti-Duquette rants, but you are consistent.

4 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

There has to be something going on with lingering injuries. Hard to completely give up on a potential five tool type of talent. What's the downside to keeping him on for another year? That said he's had plenty of opportunities. It was almost like he flipped a switch when joining our system and decided to stop producing. 

You can squatch that five tool talent thing. Diaz doesn't bring enough consistent game power, hasn't hit for average since he was in the Dodger's system, he's an average at best runner, has a good arm but his accuracy is questionable, and he doesn't get great jumps in the outfield.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You are given a choice this winter.  D.J. Stewart or Yusniel Diaz?   Who stays on the 40 man?

I'd keep Diaz, but only because I know what Stewart is at the major league level and we know what his limitations are defensively. Saying that, I could remove both and would not blink an eye though I'd rather throw Diaz into a trade.