Tanner Scott & Jorge Mateo to IL, Diplan and Valaika up

SteveA

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Bannon is hitting .173/.274/.387 at Norfolk, and while he had an insane 10 game hot streak in mid-August, he’s hit .123/.231/.158 over the last 16 games.   He’s done absolutely nothing to deserve a call up.   He hit ten homers during that 10 game streak, but has only 5 in his other 65 games played this year (none in the last 16 games).    

Well, I appreciate the information, but I wasn’t just thinking of him, I was seriously asking if anybody else would be an option, given that Valaika, Whether good or bad, it’s not a future peace, and in a 45 when season, we should be evaluating as many possible future pieces as we can. Even if he’s awful, I wouldn’t even mind Bannon, Although, as I said, I wasn’t thinking adjust of him. Is anybody else in Norfolk or even in Bowie possibility?? It’s not like whomever we caught up is going to jeopardize our playoff spot.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Well, I appreciate the information, but I wasn’t just thinking of him, I was seriously asking if anybody else would be an option, given that Valaika, Whether good or bad, it’s not a future peace, and in a 45 when season, we should be evaluating as many possible future pieces as we can. Even if he’s awful, I wouldn’t even mind Bannon, Although, as I said, I wasn’t thinking adjust of him. Is anybody else in Norfolk or even in Bowie possibility?? It’s not like whomever we caught up is going to jeopardize our playoff spot.

This is what makes me the most upset when they say this is about evaluating. Valakia is not a part of the team next year. What’s the point of him being up. What are you evaluating? It’s a dumb move. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pushmonkey said:

This is what makes me the most upset when they say this is about evaluating. Valakia is not a part of the team next year. What’s the point of him being up. What are you evaluating? It’s a dumb move. 

OMG.   We’ve evaluated a ton of guys this year.   There’s not really anyone worth evaluating down there at this point.  I guess you could throw McCoy out there, but it seems pretty pointless to me.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It ain't me, it ain't me
I ain't no millionaire's son, no, no
It ain't me, it ain't me
I ain't no fortunate one

Haha, I was actually going to reference this song (Ripken as a potential "fortunate son"), but cdn't line up the politics of it (being called up to the big leagues vs. the song's being drafted into the war). Thanks for posting it in any case--I still haven't figured out how to lay in photos and YouTubes like that.

33 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Haha, I was actually going to reference this song (Ripken as a potential "fortunate son"), but cdn't line up the politics of it (being called up to the big leagues vs. the song's being drafted into the war). Thanks for posting it in any case--I still haven't figured out how to lay in photos and YouTubes like that.

Well if Ryan Ripken gets called up then he really is a fortunate son. It would be hard to think of a more egregious example of nepotism, when it comes to a player getting called up to MLB. 

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not sure we had enough time to really find out.   I’ll say this: I’d keep him over Richie Martin any day.   

Interesting point. They're both 26, but Mateo seems to be the more polished player despite being more than a half-year younger and not a first-round pick of the A's. At the same time, it hasn't been since 2019 that Martin has been able to have regular playing time. Next season will be the decisive Y/N on Martin's career. I hope Mateo's injury doesn't become a recurring one.

Speaking of Martin's defensive performance, I know that the development of pitchers is supposed to have been held back more by the lack of a 2020 minor league season than that of hitters. I wonder what the relative impact on defense has been.

11 hours ago, Philip said:

So is Mateo a future piece or just a better class of loser?

I remain deeply skeptical that he's an actual "piece", but I've loved watching him play. I just find it all too likely that his BABIP returns to earth and the strikeouts re-emerge. But that's mainly because I'm an Orioles fan conditioned to expect failure, lol. All speculating aside, he's absolutely a favorite to crack the team out of ST next year. Well, he'd have to because he's out of options. So barring injury, absolute failure in ST, or some mega FA signings, I expect him on the 26-man in 2022. 

12 hours ago, Philip said:

So is Mateo a future piece or just a better class of loser?

I think there's a chance Mateo could be a piece. It's always been about consistency for him, but the tools are there and I liked what I saw. I think he comes into next season as the starting SS but will need to prove it over an entire year to be considered a piece.

18 hours ago, SteveA said:

Scott to the 10 day IL with a knee sprain; Diplan back up after less than 72 hours in Norfolk.

Mateo to the 60 day IL with right lumbar inflammation, Pat Valaika added to the 40 man roster and the 28 man roster in Mateo's place.  Valaika starts at shorstop tonight.

BTW, I think Scott went on the IL with a bruised ego after this season. That was a loud other shoe drop for sure.

• Haha 1