Vs. NYY: 8-11

Frobby

In this train wreck of a season, I take some solace in knowing we didn’t roll over against the Yankees this year.  We went 8-11 against them.   On the one hand, I’m tempted to say it could have been even better, pointing to the three times the Yankees came from behind to beat us by a run.   On the other hand, we beat them by a run five times, including last night’s improbable comeback win.   All in all, I feel like we played them tough, and we also didn’t have a Yankee performing ridiculous feats against us like Judge did in 2017 or Gleyber Torres in 2019.

Now on to Boston (4-9) and Toronto (5-11).    

• Upvote 2

Slow start for Jasson.    They'll always be able to spend their way to competitiveness, but I could see them struggling by their standards in 2023 and on if Cole wobbles any - his Age 30 heroics barely dragging them to wildcard game, maybe.  I am still quasi-enjoying rooting for them/him to have a long October run, and the Dodgers to start chinking the armor.

My next hope for them following last year's pleasant LeMahieu 6-year retention is a nice high Aaron Judge ~31-37 contract, and the hope that by say 2024 Cowser or Kjerstad can be about as good for 2% of the cost.

I had a smile last night seeing Giancarlo fail to go 1st to home on a deep 2-out double by Rizzo and discovering his Sprint Speed is Miggy Cabrera slow this season.   Not that that run mattered or anything.

I don't know if the Orioles will jell as Elias hopes, but 2 years out I can see the Jays struggling to pitch and the Red Sox to really do anything.   The Rays are harder to forecast, but I think the new CBA might curb a little bit of the pitching carousel excesses bastardizing/improving the game of baseball they've mastered.   I expect them to be quick uptake adopters of whatever the inefficiencies in the new rules are, but maybe we will too instead of trying to get Jorge Lopez through 6 innings.   We'll see if Adley can keep up with Wander.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Slow start for Jasson.    They'll always be able to spend their way to competitiveness, but I could see them struggling by their standards in 2023 and on if Cole wobbles any - his Age 30 heroics barely dragging them to wildcard game, maybe.  I am still quasi-enjoying rooting for them/him to have a long October run, and the Dodgers to start chinking the armor.

My next hope for them following last year's pleasant LeMahieu 6-year retention is a nice high Aaron Judge ~31-37 contract, and the hope that by say 2024 Cowser or Kjerstad can be about as good for 2% of the cost.

I had a smile last night seeing Giancarlo fail to go 1st to home on a deep 2-out double by Rizzo and discovering his Sprint Speed is Miggy Cabrera slow this season.   Not that that run mattered or anything.

I don't know if the Orioles will jell as Elias hopes, but 2 years out I can see the Jays struggling to pitch and the Red Sox to really do anything.   The Rays are harder to forecast, but I think the new CBA might curb a little bit of the pitching carousel excesses bastardizing/improving the game of baseball they've mastered.   I expect them to be quick uptake adopters of whatever the inefficiencies in the new rules are, but maybe we will too instead of trying to get Jorge Lopez through 6 innings.   We'll see if Adley can keep up with Wander.

That had to be some nagging end of year injury, right? That we don't know about? He can't really be THAT slow.

1 hour ago, scOtt said:

That had to be some nagging end of year injury, right? That we don't know about? He can't really be THAT slow.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/sprint_speed

He's 524th out of 550 here, which measures the year.   Other guys with 100+ runs around him are Maikel Franco, Carlos Santana, Josh Donaldson, Wilmer Flores.   

If I set the filter to just Catchers, his 24.6 is a Bottom 20% number.

Guys like him and Donaldson that have had a lot of tissue issues, it might be the club telling them don't even try to run fast to keep the bat in the lineup.   But that was a big run last night.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Philip said:

Boone is the first guy to get the axe. And at Pinstripe Alley, there will be much rejoicing.

However, that won’t fix the Yankee problems. I only hope we can learn from them, and rule number one is NO EXTENSIONS

But doesn't Boone pretty much make his managerial decisions based on what the Yankees analytics department recommends. Changing managers isn't going to fix that part of the equation.