Orioles claim pitcher, DFA another

Legend_Of_Joey

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In 1972, the Orioles used 11 pitchers the entire season, 6 of whom started a game.  That’s about an average three weeks for the 2021 Orioles!

I think comparing teams to the 1972 team is a bit unfair given the changes in the game.  I think the 2014 team should be the modern gold standard.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think comparing teams to the 1972 team is a bit unfair given the changes in the game.  I think the 2014 team should be the modern gold standard.

I think the intention was to show just how much the game has changed.   I don't it was about fairness.  Just a few yucks.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I think the intention was to show just how much the game has changed.   I don't it was about fairness.  Just a few yucks.

Correct.   I’m pretty sure no team in MLB is using only 11 pitchers in a season nowadays.   In fact, most have 12 or 13 on the roster at any one time, or even 14.   

Since C_of_C mentioned 2014 though, it’s worth mentioning that the ‘14 O’s used only 7 starters, and the 7th (TJ Macfarland) only started one game because of a doubleheader.   That team was incredibly lucky with the health of its pitching staff.    

• Upvote 1