Brandon Snyder hangs ‘em up after 17 years

Frobby

Our no. 1 pick from 2005 finally decided he’d had enough.   Always liked the guy. I’ll never forget that in the 2007 Hawaiian Winter League he led the league in hitting, significantly outperforming Matt Wieters.   I had high hopes for him then, but they never came to fruition.   

The Washington Post wrote a pretty long article about Snyder’s retirement, which I thought was an interesting use of the limited space available in the sports section.    
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/10/03/brandon-snyder-nationals-retires/

• Upvote 1

I always rooted for him as well.  He had a bit of a stick and did slug- if the article is accurate- over 200 ML ABs .445, which isn't terrible.

A bit of a Crash Davis.  Sounds like he is in a good place in his life.  And sounds like he has a future coaching, hopefully for him in the MLs.

35 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I always rooted for him as well.  He had a bit of a stick and did slug- if the article is accurate- over 200 ML ABs .445, which isn't terrible.

A bit of a Crash Davis.  Sounds like he is in a good place in his life.  And sounds like he has a future coaching, hopefully for him in the MLs.

In 17 years he had 200 MLB ABs???
wow… that’s… a whole lotta waiting…I hope he got a huge signing bonus

I took pitching classes from his dad, Brian https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/snydebr01.shtml in the mid to late 90s in Northern VA.  I don't recall ever meeting Brandon but Brian was such a nice guy and a great coach...I always rooted for Brandon as a result.  

Kind of surprising news, I hadn't heard Brandon's name in a long time.  I figured he'd retired years ago.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Almost 5,000 at bats in 1375 minor league games over 17 years.  Saw action on parts of 6 MLB seasons.

Edited by jdwilde1
Revised
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Philip said:

10 hours ago, CharmCityHokie said:

He managed to amass 2.063 years of service time, so that’s another $1.2 - $1.3 mm, plus whatever his minor league salaries were.   So, he probably made in the neighborhood of $4 mm over 17 years.    

The part of the article about Ryan Zimmerman and his teammates lobbying for Snyder to come up as the bullpen catcher towards the end of the season was pretty cool.   Zimmerman is a class act.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think Caleb Joseph became for a short bit what we thought Snyder would be. Or maybe it’s all just about luck and Joseph was in the right place at the right time. 

I certainly had higher hopes for Snyder than what Joseph turned out to be.   Snyder had a pretty bad shoulder injury from a home plate collision that moved him off catcher, and then his bat never quite lived up to what he was able to do in AA.  He was certainly a much better hitter than Joseph, but not good enough to carry at 1B/DH.   If he’d been able to remain a catcher, he probably would have had a pretty nice major league career.