The 2021 Orioles may have sucked, but I am going through major withdrawal

Frobby

1 hour ago, InsideCoroner said:

Something — anything — to let everyone know that we will not have to endure another season like this yet again.

I know it isn't Elias' style, but I thought it was nice of Ben Cherington to gift Pirates fans a glimpse of Oneil Cruz and Roansy Contreras.

I guess until CBA, Adley 2022 hopes must be counted in Game X instead of a calendar date, so just hoping for more like Game 15 than Game 60.   I feel like with Bobby Witt the GM's are going to be watching each other middle school dance style, and presume the good old days of Kris Bryant hitting cleanup in Team Game 9 are over.

The one silver lining for me right now, which is honestly very surprising because I normally don't care about sports if it's not one of my teams, is that the O's were sooo bad this year that I may actually follow the postseason. They were so bad that it takes the sting out of watching others play on, because we were out before we evere even got started in 2021.

I think I'm going to go all-in on the Giants, if for no other reason than for good will towards San Francisco and my 49ers, who look like they need all of the voodoo help they can get.

Then again, it's also pretty likely that I'll catch little to none of the playoffs, because I won't care enough about not-my-team to sit through the games.

I don't really miss it too much.  I'm happy the playoffs are underway and I'm glad the Yankees got bounced last night. 

There were some things to enjoy this year, primarily Means, Mountcastle, Mullins, Mancini and T-Wells.  I guess what I don't miss so far is watching whatever pitcher we're trotting out on any given night.  And as exciting as Mullins was this year, I didn't like seeing him limp to the finish line.  He hit his 30th dinger and went into probably his worst slump of the season.

I'd like to be wrong about the upcoming off-season but I don't see  it going well for us.  Probably won't spend a lot of money, probably will wait until late January/early February to make anything happen.  I can easily see this being a carbon copy of the past 2-3 offseasons.  

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't really miss it too much.  I'm happy the playoffs are underway and I'm glad the Yankees got bounced last night. 

There were some things to enjoy this year, primarily Means, Mountcastle, Mullins, Mancini and T-Wells.  I guess what I don't miss so far is watching whatever pitcher we're trotting out on any given night.  And as exciting as Mullins was this year, I didn't like seeing him limp to the finish line.  He hit his 30th dinger and went into probably his worst slump of the season.

I'd like to be wrong about the upcoming off-season but I don't see  it going well for us.  Probably won't spend a lot of money, probably will wait until late January/early February to make anything happen.  I can easily see this being a carbon copy of the past 2-3 offseasons.  

I would bet on the same thing. 

I'm not even calling for big FA spending but I'd be happy with one or two competent starters on 1-2 year deals and upgrades at SS and 3B.  A few 2/20 type deals won't be breaking the bank or potentially blocking prospects.  It's time to gravitate towards winning again. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

It was a painful year.   Lots of games I turned off in disgust, lots of games I never turned on because they were out of hand by the time I finished dinner, lots of games I watched for three hours only to have defeat snatched from the jaws of victory in the bitter end.   

And yet, baseball >>> no baseball.    And for me, no Orioles baseball = no baseball.   Because I don’t care.    

It’s been two days and I’m already bored with the offseason, looking for minutiae about this past season I can explore to keep me occupied.    

It’s going to be a long winter.

Absolutely, I wrote multiple times during the summer that bad baseball is better than no baseball, I even complained about off days on a day when we actually had a game, because I was anticipating this long stretch of “off days.”

I can’t wait for the typical off-season fluff to show up: “evaluating the team” “plans for the future” “Free Agent Joe Blank: yes/no” and so on.

However, despite my agony at losing baseball, I was able to completely ignore last nights wildcard game. And you know, it wasn’t hard.

41 minutes ago, Philip said:

Absolutely, I wrote multiple times during the summer that bad baseball is better than no baseball, I even complained about off days on a day when we actually had a game, because I was anticipating this long stretch of “off days.”

I can’t wait for the typical off-season fluff to show up: “evaluating the team” “plans for the future” “Free Agent Joe Blank: yes/no” and so on.

However, despite my agony at losing baseball, I was able to completely ignore last nights wildcard game. And you know, it wasn’t hard.

I ignored it too.   Someone had to win, which was unfortunate.  

Well, it's odd but for all the haranguing about the Orioles and how bad they were...and they were bad in 2021.  The Blue Jays closed up shop at the same time and the Yankees lasted one extra game.  

And I saw none of the game but a tweet that noted the Orioles took 2 of 3 from Boston to close out the series but the Yankees couldn't get their 300 million starter through 3 innings.  I smiled.

6 hours ago, Sanfran327 said:

The one silver lining for me right now, which is honestly very surprising because I normally don't care about sports if it's not one of my teams, is that the O's were sooo bad this year that I may actually follow the postseason. They were so bad that it takes the sting out of watching others play on, because we were out before we evere even got started in 2021.

I think I'm going to go all-in on the Giants, if for no other reason than for good will towards San Francisco and my 49ers, who look like they need all of the voodoo help they can get.

Then again, it's also pretty likely that I'll catch little to none of the playoffs, because I won't care enough about not-my-team to sit through the games.

Good choice!  You got Gausman, Little Yaz and the black and orange!  My WS winning '54 Giants from NYC had Hoyt Wilhelm, a later Oriole, and Jackie Brandt, to name only a couple.  Go Giants!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Good choice!  You got Gausman, Little Yaz and the black and orange!  My WS winning '54 Giants from NYC had Hoyt Wilhelm, a later Oriole, and Jackie Brandt, to name only a couple.  Go Giants!

And OF LaMonte Wade, a Baltimore native who played for University of Maryland.

The Giants got him in a deal from Minnesota in the offseason for Shaun Anderson, who the Twins would later waive and be claimed by Texas, who the Rangers would later waive and be claimed by the Orioles, he pitched 10 not very memorable innings for us this year and we waived him and he was claimed by the Padres, for whom he pitched 4.2 innings -- 1 of which was against the Giants.

Meanwhile, Wade had a solid year as a 4th outfielder for San Francisco, and became one of their most popular players this year because he had a number of late inning clutch game winning hits.

• Like 1