Adam Jones long interview

Frobby

10 hours ago, Philip said:

I remember listening to a radio interview with Isaiah Thomas, and it was a pretty extensive interview, five or six minutes or so, and almost every other sentence, Isaiah Thomas said, “I’m one of the best of all time.”

Yeah yeah we get it. But if you’re one of the best of all time, you don’t need to constantly be reminding us.

Maybe to you.  

On 10/18/2021 at 3:29 PM, Frobby said:

When I say long, I mean two hours long. I haven’t watched it yet, but figure people would be interested.   

I honestly thought I would never want to listen to a 2 hour long interview with Adam Jones, or practically anybody to be honest.   Attention span isn't what it used to be, even when I'm watching an Oriole game I'm usually doing some sort of multitasking these days (posting in the game thread, having a game on the other TV, or just doing things around the house).

But I had a long drive so I fired this up.   And it was really enjoyable.   Never got bored or even thought of turning it off.   Adam is smart, blunt, honest, and refreshing.  He is incredibly knowledgable about the baseball world too.   For a guy who has spent the last 6 months on the other side of the world in a different time zone, he is completely plugged in to what happened across the major leagues this year, clearly watching all the playoff games and following things in detail such as Jared Kelenic's season in Seattle.

Finally finished this interview.   Man, Adam can talk.  The host wouid ask him a question and Adam wouid go on for 10 minutes non-stop.   Very entertaining.  I loved the fact that, when asked a question about the day he was drafted, Adam can rattle off what period of school it was, what class it was and who the teacher was when he got the call from his agent.   He’s very grounded in that way.   Adam’s interesting because on the one hand he’s got a pretty big ego, but on the other hand he’s very respectful and appreciative of other people and doesn’t separate himself from them.  

Subjects covered included the day he was drafted, being mentored by Tony Gwynn and Mark McLemore, his relationship with Ichiro during Adam’s short time he was with the Mariners, his experience being traded, what it was like when the Orioles got good, the catch he made in the World Baseball Classic, his experience in Japan, his potential interest in being a manager (pretty clearly not something he’d want to do immediately), and Buck Showalter and the culture in the Orioles’ clubhouse.   I actually would have liked to hear more about his time in Japan.  

At the end, Adam mentions that he has a podcast he does with his brother-in-law.   Who knew?   Looks like it has about 34 episodes.   https://www.heckledeez.com

• Thanks 1