2022 MLB Draft Discussion (Use this thread to discuss all picks, not Orioles picks)

3 hours ago, calsmanystances said:

Law's mock has us taking Lee. Not sure I'm a fan of this at 1-1 as it doesn't appear likely Lee will stick at SS (Law is not the only one who holds this opinion) and he didn't walk much prior to this season (18 walks in 55 games and 222 AB's in 2021 and 3 walks in 84 AB's at the Cape in 2021) .  His walks did jump this year (2022) to 46 while his K's and avg etc. stayed pretty consistent with 2021 (.342 34 k's in 55 games and 222 AB's in 2021 v. .357 with 28 K's in 235 AB's in 2022). According to D1Baseball, Cal Poly's SOS was 173rd. His numbers are good, but pale in comparison to Rutschman's (1.327 OPS) and Vaughn's (1.243 OPS) who played a tougher schedule in the PAC-12. Are we settling again? 

This highlights my concerns about Lee. He plays against weak competition and his numbers against that weak competition and on the Cape aren’t eye popping, with a concerning lack of walks against higher level competition.

I’ve seen posters say “you don’t tank for Johnson,” but are completely fine with Lee. Lee also is not a SS, is less athletic than Johnson if you trust Kiley McDaniel, and has less power potential. The three players that seem to have the most potential to be superstars are Jones, Holliday, and Green. Johnson might get there if you really believe in the hit tool and think he can get to 25-30 HRs. I would love to be convinced that Lee would be a great pick at 1-1, but I don’t see it. Maybe someone here can change my mind.

8 hours ago, Sydnor said:

This highlights my concerns about Lee. He plays against weak competition and his numbers against that weak competition and on the Cape aren’t eye popping, with a concerning lack of walks against higher level competition.

I’ve seen posters say “you don’t tank for Johnson,” but are completely fine with Lee. Lee also is not a SS, is less athletic than Johnson if you trust Kiley McDaniel, and has less power potential. The three players that seem to have the most potential to be superstars are Jones, Holliday, and Green. Johnson might get there if you really believe in the hit tool and think he can get to 25-30 HRs. I would love to be convinced that Lee would be a great pick at 1-1, but I don’t see it. Maybe someone here can change my mind.

You shouldn’t tank for Lee either.

There are 3 high upside guys in this draft worthy of the first pick and one of them is only worthy if you believe you can fix the swing and miss.

Outside of Jones, Holliday and Green, there isn’t a talent there that you take at 1.  

When you look at Holliday and Jones you see talented players who have tons of projection physically. That’s enticing.  Green and Johnson are already filled out.  And Lee is pretty much maxed out already.  So, agree that Holliday and Jones probably are the two most attractive picks for upside.  Green has a high ceiling but I worry that he’s a man among boys now and what happens when he’s a man among men.

Jackson Holliday is the pick for me. Great mix of floor and ceiling, great pedigree, will fit in well at Oriole Park if he pans out (Jones and Green will be hurt by Oriole Park if/when they make it to the majors). Holliday has several similarities to Gunnar Henderson. And if we can save $500k+ compared to Jones, also fits in with spreading money among the pool, which Elias clearly loves.

Johnson is too risky (size, defensive position), Green is also too risky (too much swing and miss, too high of a bust potential for 1.1) and I don't think Lee has the upside to justify taking him 1.1.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

Jackson Holliday is the pick for me. Great mix of floor and ceiling, great pedigree, will fit in well at Oriole Park if he pans out (Jones and Green will be hurt by Oriole Park if/when they make it to the majors). Holliday has several similarities to Gunnar Henderson. And if we can save $500k+ compared to Jones, also fits in with spreading money among the pool, which Elias clearly loves.

Johnson is too risky (size, defensive position), Green is also too risky (too much swing and miss, too high of a bust potential for 1.1) and I don't think Lee has the upside to justify taking him 1.1.

You take Holliday because you think he’s better.  You don’t take him because he saves you 500k.

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You take Holliday because you think he’s better.  You don’t take him because he saves you 500k.

If they think Jones is clearly the best player I'm confident they'll take him.  Just not sure if the rumor of Sig loving Lee is real or a smokescreen. 

26 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

If they think Jones is clearly the best player I'm confident they'll take him.  Just not sure if the rumor of Sig loving Lee is real or a smokescreen. 

Well he can really like him but still not take him.  I mean, you would love to have the top 5 picks of the draft because you always like a lot of guys.

I will not be convinced that they see more upside and ceiling in Lee than they do Jones or Holliday.  If they take Lee, my belief will be that they really like him but that his price tag is why he went 1, not because he was 1st on their board.

Lee's hit tool is rated 65 to 70.

Drew Jones hit tool is only 45.

Braves just went through this with Cristian Pache.  Tremendous arm, speed, you name it.  Traded for Matt Olson.

Athletics just demoted him to AAA.  Still can't hit a baseball.

5 hours ago, waynebug said:

Lee's hit tool is rated 65 to 70.

Drew Jones hit tool is only 45.

Braves just went through this with Cristian Pache.  Tremendous arm, speed, you name it.  Traded for Matt Olson.

Athletics just demoted him to AAA.  Still can't hit a baseball.

Where did you see Jones with a 45 hit tool?

BA has him at 60, and MLB is a 55, the lowest I have seen anywhere.