2021 Orioles #11 Prospect - Drew Rom - LHP

Tony-OH

7 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Would anyone compare him to Brian Matsuz? Matsuz was a lefty without overpowering fastball, but good secondaries and excellent control. Truly amazing that he was a MLB top 25 prospect and flopped badly.

He had an eight year career.  Earned close to 10M in salary.  Got a ring.

That isn't flopping badly.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That isn't flopping badly.

“Got a ring” is literally true, but hardly worth mentioning.   He pitched one game for the Cubs and allowed 6 ER in 3 IP.   

I was certainly disappointed in his career, even if “flopped badly” is an overstatement.   

Just now, Frobby said:

“Got a ring” is literally true, but hardly worth mentioning.   He pitched one game for the Cubs and allowed 6 ER in 3 IP.   

I was certainly disappointed in his career, even if “flopped badly” is an overstatement.   

A lot of guys consider getting a ring a career goal.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

A lot of guys consider getting a ring a career goal.

I’m sure most of them have a goal of actually contributing to a WS team.    They don’t dream of having a one day call-up in which they are shelled, and somehow get a ring out of it.  

52 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That isn't flopping badly.From 

I guess you are a Matsuz fan? Sorry, flopping in the context of being 4th overall pick and top 25 prospect. I was excited when got called up and  had high hopes he would be a frontline starter for us.

With that said, a 8 year career is nothing to sneeze at.

8 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

I guess you are a Matsuz fan? Sorry, flopping in the context of being 4th overall pick and top 25 prospect. I was excited when got called up and  had high hopes he would be a frontline starter for us.

With that said, a 8 year career is nothing to sneeze at.

There have been 57 no. 4 picks.  Leaving out the 2019-21 picks, call it 54.  Of those, 9 never reached the majors, another 9 had negative WAR, and another 10 had a lower WAR than Matusz.  So in that context, you can’t really say Matusz flopped badly.  He had a median outcome for that pick.   But there’s no doubt this was a disappointing outcome.   

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There have been 57 no. 4 picks.  Leaving out the 2019-21 picks, call it 54.  Of those, 9 never reached the majors, another 9 had negative WAR, and another 10 had a lower WAR than Matusz.  So in that context, you can’t really say Matusz flopped badly.  He had a median outcome for that pick.   But there’s no doubt this was a 

Geez, people on here will take one word out of context and not let it go.

No more posting from me for awhile. However, will continue to enjoy reading the board and hearing everyone's perspective.

Edited by Chaka Garcia

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

This is what I did not get.  I always thought that to be a successful starter in the majors you needed three pitches that were at least average.      Otherwise the pitcher would end up as a reliever if anything  at all.

I am sure there are many major league pitchers that don't have three average pitches.  But that does not mean they are successful.

A starter comes to the mound and does not have his off speed pitches.  Its probably going to be a struggle that day..... at least until the find them.   Or his 94 mph fastball is 90 today.   His off season speed stuff better be on or he probably will not last 5 innings.

Its been said about Baumann and DL Hall many times, they have to develop a third pitch.  If they don't they will be relievers.  I am guessing that means three average or above pitches.  Any pitcher can throw below average pitches but that will not get them very far as a starters in the majors as far as I have read.

Characterizing the  FV of Rom's two pitches as below average seems to only give to two average or better  pitches which I thought would make him a reliever.  And you don't rank relievers high.

You can believe anything you like. Have at it. I've explained myself if you don't want to accept it, feel free to disagree. 

Rom has 4 pitches, two of which can be plus and two of which are just below average. Major league starters do need three pitches, but no body said they all need to be major league average or better. 

With better command his changeup could end up average.

2 hours ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Would anyone compare him to Brian Matsuz? Matsuz was a lefty without overpowering fastball, but good secondaries and excellent control. Truly amazing that he was a MLB top 25 prospect and flopped badly.

Matusz's command never really materialized at the major league level and his changeup disappeared with the major league ball. Matusz is obviously a cautionary tale of never getting too high on a minor league pitcher before they pitch with the major league baseball without unquestionable stuff.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

You can believe anything you like. Have at it. I've explained myself if you don't want to accept it, feel free to disagree. 

Rom has 4 pitches, two of which can be plus and two of which are just below average. Major league starters do need three pitches, but no body said they all need to be major league average or better. 

With better command his changeup could end up average.

I like Rom as a prospect and your writeup is encouraging.  I just think your FV of his stuff (which I do not question) makes it hard to rate him this high.