2021 Orioles #23 Prospect - Brandon Young - RHP

Tony-OH

Sources of players so far:

2017 draft 3 (Hall, Lowther, Baumann)

2018 draft 2 (Rodriguez, Rom)

2019 draft 4 (Rutschman, Henderson, Stowers, Ortiz)

2020 draft 4 (Mayo, Westburg, Kjerstad, Baumler

2020 undrafted 1 (Young)

2021 draft 4 (Cowser, Norby, Rhodes, Willems)

International FA 3 (Basallo, Hernandez, Bautista

Trades 3 (Pinto, Bradish, Vavra)

Pretty evenly spread out.  

Some top picks we haven’t seen yet:

A. Hall 2nd round 2017

Cadyn Grenier 1st round supp. 2018

Blaine Knight 3rd round 2018

Zach Watson 3rd round 2019

Hudson Haskin 2nd round 2020

Scott Servideo 3rd round 2020

Reed Trimble 2nd round 2021

I’m not sure if we’ll see any of those in the next 6.   

• Upvote 1

All of these young and/or inexperienced guys can go anywhere. Projections are based on old scouting reports, small sample size and videos. At least with a guy like Haskin, Knight, Watson et al there's more to go on. The real young ones could be diamonds or lumps of coal.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Pretty cool to see an undrafted guy who only got $20 k to sign on the list.   Of course, that couid be a sign that the talent is thinning out at this point.   

NCAA SP with 4 pitches. I don’t think we’re thinning out just yet. We still haven’t seen Trimble(recent 2nd round pick). Also, Peek, Brnovich, Watson, and Haskin. Even Mundy and Neustrom. 

The five round draft year is going to have lots of "undrafted free agents" making impacts in the bigs.  It was truly a strange year.  I still like the talent we took with those six picks.  If some of the UDFA's pop, that could turn out to be a big year for the O's.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

The five round draft year is going to have lots of "undrafted free agents" making impacts in the bigs.  It was truly a strange year.  I still like the talent we took with those six picks.  If some of the UDFA's pop, that could turn out to be a big year for the O's.

I've noticed that typically when announcers talk about "undrafted" player stories they're mistakenly actually talking about international prospects. Might have some more legitimate ones moving forward (albeit with the asterisk of the 5-round draft)

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Honestly, I could be under valuing Young because of lack of pedigree. The numbers were very impressive, especially for his ability to miss bats and it's rare that a guy can throw four pitches for strikes and miss bats. Obviously how he fares in AA or AAA will either cement his prospect status or show his warts, but I really liked what I saw from him this year. 

This is a guy who came from a small school who missed most of his Junior year because of COVID and was one of the losers of the five round draft. He's not a $20K talent for sure. It's unfortunate how it shook out for him so far, because honestly, I think he has 2nd or 3rd round talent.

The O's were real careful with him.  He started 20 games and was only allow to go 5 innings 3 times.  20 starts, 72 innings as a starter.

• Upvote 1