MLBTR: Can We Get Excited About the Orioles Yet?

Aristotelian

Pretty solid piece IMO on the state of the Orioles entering the off-season. Short answer is qualified yes, with rebuild about to enter a new phase. Does not expect superstar free agent although a SS could make sense similar to how San Diego signed Manny during their rebuild. More likely names are Seeking, Harrison, Iglesias etc. Nothing we don't already know but solid take for a national media source.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/11/can-we-get-excited-about-the-orioles-yet.html

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Pretty solid piece IMO on the state of the Orioles entering the off-season. Short answer is qualified yes, with rebuild about to enter a new phase. Does not expect superstar free agent although a SS could make sense similar to how San Diego signed Manny during their rebuild. More likely names are Seeking, Harrison, Iglesias etc. Nothing we don't already know but solid take for a national media source.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/11/can-we-get-excited-about-the-orioles-yet.html

Nice piece, but after claiming Fox and not DFA’inf Martin, I don’t see why we sign a vet SS or IF. Heck, we kept Nevin too. The waiver game has just started too with FAs not really signing. Urias looks good for 2B. Mateo/Fox offer lots of upside at 3B/SS. Then there is Guiterrez at 3B. 

We’re going to be more exciting next year. Especially after June 1.  Especially offensively. We might even be able to start to piece games together backwards with the pitching. 

We’re close. It’ll be exciting. But we’re still a year away from being serious. 

• Upvote 1

I think it's still a year early to be excited.

We have seen no indications that any free agents of note will join the team.

Every indication is that Adley's clock will be managed and we will only get to see him for a partial season.

We will probably seen even less of Grayson with both his service clock and innings being managed.

Hard to get too excited about a 110 loss team with two additions that aren't going to be with the team for the whole year.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Every indication is that Adley's clock will be managed and we will only get to see him for a partial season.

We will probably seen even less of Grayson with both his service clock and innings being managed.

Hard to get too excited about a 110 loss team with two additions that aren't going to be with the team for the whole year.

I agree but the excitement will be in the minors and the #1 pick in the draft. Plus, at the MLB level we likely won’t have any stop gap level players and every player on the roster could be a legit part of our future. Except for trade possibilities and and some relievers. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I agree but the excitement will be in the minors and the #1 pick in the draft. Plus, at the MLB level we likely won’t have any stop gap level players and every player on the roster could be a legit part of our future. Except for trade possibilities and and some relievers. 

I'm 100% expecting stop gap level players.

I think a worthwhile free agent would be willing to sign with a team that has an upward trajectory. I don’t think the Rockies, Angels, the Reds, the Padres(though the weather is nice) the Phillies, Cubs, Pirates, Mets( pause for laugh) Offer as much potential and excitement and upper trajectory as the Orioles, And the top destinations teams can only sign so many guys. If it looks like we have passed our nadir And are heading back up, we’ll be much more appealing. So the only barrier to signing the remaining guys we need would be finances.

They have to get some starting pitching in here. At least one guy that you can somewhat rely on for a full season. Otherwise, we're going to be really bad again next year, and possibly unwatchable, as bad starting pitching makes it really hard to watch a baseball team. 

7 minutes ago, crawjo said:

They have to get some starting pitching in here. At least one guy that you can somewhat rely on for a full season. Otherwise, we're going to be really bad again next year, and possibly unwatchable, as bad starting pitching makes it really hard to watch a baseball team. 

Yeah, I was thinking pitching as well

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think the article is predicting playoffs or anything, more like we have hit rock bottom and might start to see some light at the end of the tunnel. Anyway, it is nice to get some national press that isn't just about how we suck and tanking is terrible for the game etc 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Nice piece, but after claiming Fox and not DFA’inf Martin, I don’t see why we sign a vet SS or IF. Heck, we kept Nevin too. The waiver game has just started too with FAs not really signing. Urias looks good for 2B. Mateo/Fox offer lots of upside at 3B/SS. Then there is Guiterrez at 3B. 

We’re going to be more exciting next year. Especially after June 1.  Especially offensively. We might even be able to start to piece games together backwards with the pitching. 

We’re close. It’ll be exciting. But we’re still a year away from being serious. 

I would be surprised if Fox and Martin are both still on the 40 man on opening day. Off-season has just begun. I don't think Fox indicates anything about Elias's 2022 plan.