“Don’t worry, we will spend next year”

Sports Guy

50 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Even with Stroman, there is no way we would compete for a playoff spot in 2022.  It's unlikely we'd be quite that good in 2023 even if all of Rutschman, Westburg, Henderson, Stowers, and Cowser made it onto the roster by the end of that season - and what are the odds that all of them make it by then.  So this contract would pay Stroman $50 million to pitch in two non-competitive season just to see him walk away or hold us up for a more expensive extension just as we need him to anchor a winning rotation.  How would that make any sense at all?  

If anyone wants to argue that we should have tried to sign him to a 4/$90mil or 5/$110mil without the opt outs, then I'm on your side.  But not the contract that he signed with the Cubs.  I'm not sure that contract makes sense for Chicago and I am sure that it doesn't for the O's.

With the enormous amount of available money, and that they and the Yankees are the most heavily involved for Correa, it makes sense.

On 12/1/2021 at 7:14 AM, Sports Guy said:

For sure..definitely far more reason to be skeptical about ownership.

But Elias has yet to prove that he is a good ML GM.  The jury is still out on any player he has brought in.  He hasn’t made any moves that upgrade the talent.  That can be done without spending much money.  There are always moves out there.

He is obsessed with the idea of having the #1 ranked farm system.  He can’t wait to bring it up.  What I find amusing is how much weight he puts in that and yet the same sites that rank the top draft prospects, he laughs off and acts like they don’t know anything.

I like having the #1 farm system, but I'll be more impressed when we have the most young MLB talent.

• Upvote 1