MLB Lockout Thread

Can_of_corn

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Welp, yea, it sure looks like the owners are going to try and break the Union instead of agreeing to a favorable CBA.

I can only hope that if this comes to pass that this nonsense of folks supporting ownership evaporates and they get all the vitriol they deserve.

Looking on Twitter (which is obviously a small sampling of people) but there are a lot of “the players should just accept the terms”.  “They already get paid a lot”, blah blah blah

Let’s break this down into the simplest terms.  Since the last CBA, there has been a lot more money coming into the sport.  The owners are essentially saying, we don’t feel the need to share that and the players are saying, they should get a piece.

Not sure how anyone can think the players are wrong.

57 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Let’s break this down into the simplest terms.  Since the last CBA, there has been a lot more money coming into the sport.  The owners are essentially saying, we don’t feel the need to share that and the players are saying, they should get a piece.

I could see an argument for the revenue that isn’t derived (directly or indirectly) from the players’ efforts, such as the proceeds from the sale of MLBAM to Disney.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

So...if the owners are willing to hold out, we know it hurts the players, especially the guys that have never had a large contract. How short of a season do you think the owners are willing to settle for before it hurts them IF the players hold strong.

As I said earlier in this thread, I think the owners would be very willing to sacrifice April and May.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I think everything is being sold as part of the product and the players are the product.

Not really.  MLBAM had nothing to do with the players, that's a technology that only used the players and the game as what they were choosing to broadcast/stream.  When Disney decides to use the same tech for Disney+ and stream Cinderella, the players aren't a part of that at all.  100% of investment and risk was taken by the owners, and 100% of the proceeds of that sale should be for the owners as the players weren't a part of it.  That revenue from the sale shouldn't even be conversation of when you discuss increased owner revenue in my opinion, any more than the Angelos law firm revenue should be counted as a gain for the Orioles ownership.  The players should, of course, get a share from revenues from MLB.TV and the times they are broadcast by MLBAM as that's different.

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

And whatever gains the players make, those who attend the games will make up the difference in ticket pricing/concessions starting in 2023.  

Both sides need to come together and make sure we have a full season.  I definitely see how fans can be upset at both.  The owners are out to protect their profits, and the players want a piece of the ever-growing pie.  But you can’t have one without the other.  The owners can’t do this without the supremely talented players, and the players will not have a platform to make the kind of money they would make without the owners.  

What this is going to do is cause fans to find something better.  And honestly, I’m already at this point.  I am completely on board with everything that Mike Elias is doing.  That debate is for another thread, but I just want it documented for this post that my drifting away from baseball is not results-based.  We needed to do this rebuild, especially in Latin America, for the longest time.  

In any event, I started going back to games in 2013, and got the 29 game package in 2014 for two seats.  In 2014, 2015 and 2016 I purchased playoff ticket packages, and likely went to about 35-45 games each year.  I took friends, co-workers and a couple clients.  A couple of my friends event kept “go-bags” in their cars for us to go to games.  

But, life has a way of taking people apart.  New jobs, marriages, kids, etc.  I stopped going to as many games in 2019 and last year, I did not attend all of my games.  In both years, I left tickets on the table.  I made the decision to go to a 13 game package this year, figuring that with trading tickets around, I will end up going to 15-20, some by myself and some with friends.  Here is what drove that decision: 

1.) Entry times/fan interaction.  I hated the one hour entry time last year.  Because of traffic coming from Annapolis, I still got to the parking lot at 5 pm.  A lot of my friends enjoyed going to batting practice, and many of them got their first baseball as a result, or their kids first baseball.  I miss this kind of interaction with the players, and my ticket rep told me that the team was going to keep the 6 pm gate time.  There is also no “STH appreciation” or any sorts of meet and greets anymore.  

2.) Expenses.  Going to 29 games or more was getting expensive.  Even though I did not have much, if any, beer in 2021.  The concession prices are getting out of hand.  For a couple games, I ate and drank a lot of water before going in.  Cutting down to 13 games is basically covering my Redskins season tickets minus the parking.  

3.) I have lost a lot of weight since the pandemic started, and I got back into golf and enjoy running now.  Going to games so close together was getting in the way of my routine, and took away from some of my new golf time.  So I had my own life changes that happened.  

If we have another shortened season, it may just be the impetus to cut the cord entirely in 2023.  

30 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

What this is going to do is cause fans to find something better.  And honestly, I’m already at this point.  I am completely on board with everything that Mike Elias is doing.  That debate is for another thread, but I just want it documented for this post that my drifting away from baseball is not results-based.  We needed to do this rebuild, especially in Latin America, for the longest time.  

In any event, I started going back to games in 2013, and got the 29 game package in 2014 for two seats.  In 2014, 2015 and 2016 I purchased playoff ticket packages, and likely went to about 35-45 games each year.  I took friends, co-workers and a couple clients.  A couple of my friends event kept “go-bags” in their cars for us to go to games.  

This is how I feel.  After the 94 strike, the only games I even watched on TV were Cal tying and breaking Gehrig's record.  I finally started watching TV games again in 2001 to see the Diamondbacks beat the Yankees in the World Series.  And started going back to the park in 2003.  If they miss even one day, I want to punish both sides and say "the hell with you greedy bastards".  On the other hand, I have been paying close attention to the rebuild (it helps living in Norfolk) and would like to witness the final results.  Is there anyway we can punish these jerks without cutting off our noses to spite our faces?  

2 minutes ago, Big Al said:

This is how I feel.  After the 94 strike, the only games I even watched on TV were Cal tying and breaking Gehrig's record.  I finally started watching TV games again in 2001 to see the Diamondbacks beat the Yankees in the World Series.  And started going back to the park in 2003.  If they miss even one day, I want to punish both sides and say "the hell with you greedy bastards".  On the other hand, I have been paying close attention to the rebuild (it helps living in Norfolk) and would like to witness the final results.  Is there anyway we can punish these jerks without cutting off our noses to spite our faces?  

Punish both sides?

If one side is being unreasonable (and it looks to me that one side is) why do you want to punish the other side?