Buck's 2022-2023 New York Mets

Just Regular

Looks like the regular season series with probably the biggest Championship Probability delta for top contenders is also going to come with a side dish of hurricane.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34682872/mlb-discusses-plans-new-york-mets-atlanta-braves-series-hurricane-ian-looming

The reigning champions took the big early punch, and Buck's Guys haven't been able to hold it wire to wire.   Scherzer and deGrom are functional now though for beautiful Best on Best baseball stuff.

Tommy Hunter and Mychal Givens are both currently on the injured list.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Just Regular said:

The reigning champions took the big early punch, and Buck's Guys haven't been able to hold it wire to wire.   

I don’t think I’d put it this way.  The Mets have had a remarkably consistent year.  They’ve been above .500 every month (15-10 in Sept.).  They’ve played .600.+ baseball in every month but one (13-12 in June). They’ll end up between 98 and 104 wins.  That’s a great year.  

The fact that Atlanta has nearly caught them is more a testament to Atlanta’s hot play than any sputtering by the Mets.  

• Upvote 1

Was fun how the Mets used some of Francisco Alvarez's first MLB PA in the Braves series, and should find out soon if they put him on the playoff roster.

Edwin Diaz just had one of the greatest relief seasons ever, and is an impending free agent.     What's his pitch budget the next three days?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=diazed04&t=p&year=2022

12 appearances this season on 0 days of rest.   He threw 35 pitches on 5/19, and 28 pitches on 6/12 and 8/4 in his three highest pitch count outings of the year.    

4 outs thrice, 5 outs twice and 6 outs once were his >1 inning appearances (6 out of 61 total).

RosterResource sees the Mets setup hierarchy Ottavino-Lugo-T. May-Givens, but I think if a 6-out Save opportunity is there in Game 1 Diaz probably should get a crack at it.     And then of course if the Mets lose Game 1, he should be first guy in behind deGrom if Manny and Soto are able to get some stuff off him.

On 10/3/2022 at 1:00 AM, ORIOLE33 said:

Buck is a good manager, but his teams have a habit of losing when the games get bigger? That can’t be a coincidence. 

Well, it absolutely can be a coincidence, considering the small handful of games we’re talking about.  But it doesn’t have to be.   

Scherzer is giving up HR left and right in the first couple October innings of the $43mm/yr adventure, but three outs along the game is also opening as a Buck TTTP fantasy, at least vs. Darvish.

The Ravech broadcast team had the detail SDP yielded opposing basestealers an MLB-high 87% success rate in season.    I think the way Buck likes to phrase it is they aren't defending themselves out there.

Darvish nonetheless working with a 3-0 edge early in Game 1.

For deGrom day, here are MLB SP 50 innings minimum by K-BB%, as deGrom makes the board look like the board for pretty much every league Grayson Rodriguez ever pitched in before that darned lat strain.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=sta&lg=all&qual=50&type=1&season=2022&month=0&season1=2022&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2022-01-01&enddate=2022-12-31&sort=9,d

Here's Buck on the strategy with his Relief Ace.      Taijuan Walker did get flexed on to the Series Roster yesterday, so Buck will have a rotation regular in the pen behind Bassitt as an option, though I'd think the original roster choice would mean he'd steer more towards the Trevor May-Mychal Givens type guy even super early in the game if Bassitt has trouble.

Showalter said he had no intention to have Diaz pitch three innings and finish the game.

"Where they were in the batting order, we had trouble with Grisham. I wasn't planning on pitching a third inning with him," Showalter said of Diaz. "There were things that would have changed that; if he had two eight-pitch innings, I would think about it."

Diaz asked to stay in the contest to finish off Drury, but Showalter said he needed him to be available for Game 3 on Sunday.

"I was feeling great. I thought I could get Drury out, but he told me that he needed me tomorrow and this was enough for today," Diaz said. "So, I said let's win the game tomorrow."

On 10/2/2022 at 8:44 PM, Just Regular said:

Tough night for Bassitt, who had a chance tonight to really polish his resume for the payday of a lifetime after deGrom and Scherzer both lost the last two days, but he couldn't escape 3rd inning despite Buck giving him 40+ pitches of rope.   

And already on the ropes in the second inning tonight after yielding two walks and a 2-run single to the 7-8-9 batters in the lineup. Buck may need Walker after all.

31 minutes ago, LA2 said:

And already on the ropes in the second inning tonight after yielding two walks and a 2-run single to the 7-8-9 batters in the lineup. Buck may need Walker after all.

Bottom of order got a 3rd run off him in the fourth inning, which ended with the 9th place hitter.    Lugo was throwing in the pen as Bassitt earned his 12th out.     Would think conventional analytic wisdom is don't send him out for third time through order in the 5th inning, but we'll see what Buck does.

David Peterson throwing, seems sure he'll be in for Profar-Soto to start.

Musgrove cruising - 10 up, 10 down.

Edited by Just Regular

16 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Bottom of order got a 3rd run off him in the fourth inning, which ended with the 9th place hitter.    Lugo was throwing in the pen as Bassitt earned his 12th out.     Would think conventional analytic wisdom is don't send him out for third time through order in the 5th inning, but we'll see what Buck does.

David Peterson throwing, seems sure he'll be in for Profar-Soto to start.

Musgrove cruising - 10 up, 10 down.

You were right about that, but it still didn't work. Profar singled, Soto sac bunted (!), and Manny knocked him in with a smart oppo single.

But there was no way for Mets pitcher decisions to win anyway; they ran into the brick wall of Musgrove, Suarez, and Hader's one-hit, one-walk shutdown, regardless of Buck's shiny earlobe check.

• Just Regular changed the title to Buck's 2022-2023 New York Mets

The Passan deep dive on the Correa unfolding.    He has a tidbit that as Steve Cohen was deliberating from Hawaii - his wife urged him to do it as her dad, a longtime fan, advocated for it.     One way to keep things with in-laws harmonious during the holidays!

But a Correa-Mets union was too appealing for Cohen to play hardball -- especially after his wife, Alex, a die-hard Mets fan whose father, Ralph Garcia, regularly attended games at Citi Field even through the leanest years, advocated for him to sign Correa.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/35298710/mlb-free-agency-carlos-correa-leaving-giants-mets

On 1/17/2022 at 8:36 PM, OriolesMagic83 said:

I predict the New York media will love Buck.  Buck is full of quirky phrases and funny stories.  I believe he will handle the job much better than his 1st go around with the Yankees.  Sucks that Buck lost the Yankee job right before their talented young nucleus broke through. 

That was all on the owner. Demanded Buck to fire his entire coaching staff. Buck refused as he didnt think it solve anything as they wasnt the reason they didnt get to the WS. 

Got to respect Buck to stick to his guns, when he believes he was right.