How Long Will Elias Stay in Baltimore?

LookinUp

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s pretty easy to say this because the team sucks now and the payroll is super low.   But the team has shown in the past that it’s willing to spend when the team is competitive.   If they just wanted to be cheap, they didn’t need to spend $150-160 mm on payroll for a few years there.

Let me ask you, assuming the team is pretty good in the next couple of years, what do you think will happen with the payroll?  Do you not think it will climb to $150-160 mm or higher?

I actually do think the owners would like to build a sustained winner.   That’s good for revenue and they can show their faces in public.   Having a winning team and turning a good profit don’t have to be inconsistent objectives.   

I have already said I can see them spending money down the road.  I have never said differently.  It’s how they spend it that’s my issue. That and the fact that they won’t spend now.

That being said, the payroll is going to stay low for a while if the young players develop because they don’t cost anything.  The payrolls started jumping in the mid 2010s because, in large part, of arb raises.

If the players dont develop than I do not see this team pulling a 180 and doing what Philly did and just try to buy their way out of things.

I can see the payroll getting into the 100-130 range in 3-5 years but I question how much higher it goes from there.

I think they are selling when the old man dies so they are going to want to keep it low for a little while longer.

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s pretty easy to say this because the team sucks now and the payroll is super low.   But the team has shown in the past that it’s willing to spend when the team is competitive.   If they just wanted to be cheap, they didn’t need to spend $150-160 mm on payroll for a few years there.

Let me ask you, assuming the team is pretty good in the next couple of years, what do you think will happen with the payroll?  Do you not think it will climb to $150-160 mm or higher?

I actually do think the owners would like to build a sustained winner.   That’s good for revenue and they can show their faces in public.   Having a winning team and turning a good profit don’t have to be inconsistent objectives.   

I think they are going to hover around 25th in the league.

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I have already said I can see them spending money down the road.  I have never said differently.  It’s how they spend it that’s my issue. That and the fact that they won’t spend now.

That being said, the payroll is going to stay low for a while if the young players develop because they don’t cost anything.  The payrolls started jumping in the mid 2010s because, in large part, of arb raises.

If the players dont develop than I do not see this team pulling a 180 and doing what Philly did and just try to buy their way out of things.

I can see the payroll getting into the 100-130 range in 3-5 years but I question how much higher it goes from there.

I think they are selling when the old man dies so they are going to want to keep it low for a little while longer.

I have no idea what they’ll do or when.  I will say that I’m not sure Peter’s death will be a precipitating event, assuming his wife survives him.  (I think I read that she’s considerably younger than he is.)

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, LookinUp said:

What the heck, I'm bumping this thread because I think the discussion has changed somewhat from what a lot of people were thinking in March.

I don't think Elias would be leaving the org any time soon but I would be concerned Sig Mejdal would be interviewed for GM positions (e.g. Detroit).

2 minutes ago, 86this said:

I don't think Elias would be leaving the org any time soon but I would be concerned Sig Mejdal would be interviewed for GM positions (e.g. Detroit).

He can do the number stuff but does he have the rest of the skills needed?

I wouldn't hand my franchise over to him based on what I know.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

C'mon, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to be a GM.  I know you know what I mean.  🤪

52 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hold on. If you owned the Orioles, are you saying you wouldn’t want Elias as GM?