DL Hall 2022

Tony-OH

30 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Some of the moves were expiring assets like Machado.  Obviously the O's shouldn't have waited that long to trade Machado.  At this point, the comp pick might be better than anything they got from LA. Jury is still out on Zimmerman.

Zimmerman came back in the Gausman trade I think.  Kremer came back in the Machado trade, and he may be the only good piece we got back from LA, but he's a very good piece.  

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I didn’t get to watch, but nice save by Hall last night.  I heard he was all business.  Great opportunity for him.  

I really feel like he needs to start the season in middle relief similar to the way Hader was used, but instead of staying strictly relief, I think if he excels he should be moved into a SP role halfway through the season

39 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I really feel like he needs to start the season in middle relief similar to the way Hader was used, but instead of staying strictly relief, I think if he excels he should be moved into a SP role halfway through the season

If I was in charge, I'd have him starting at AAA  A starting pitcher is his ceiling and we NEED starters. Let's try that first. Hopefully he dominates and we can bring him up as a starter.

The time up here in MLB in the bullpen is already paying dividends, IMO.   He ditched the curve and is going with fastball, changeup, slider and throwing all three for strikes (last night).   His curve is more of a roller than a sharp breaker.   The slider looks better to me.  He mentioned something on the post game about smoothing out his mechanics or something like that.   Not sure if he mentioned Holt.   I'd like to see him start out next year in the bullpen, doing a little bit of the Akin type of role from this year.   I think he could go from a 2-3 inning pitcher and transition into a 5 IP sometime during the season if he's looking good.

11 hours ago, RZNJ said:

The time up here in MLB in the bullpen is already paying dividends, IMO.   He ditched the curve and is going with fastball, changeup, slider and throwing all three for strikes (last night).   His curve is more of a roller than a sharp breaker.   The slider looks better to me.  He mentioned something on the post game about smoothing out his mechanics or something like that.   Not sure if he mentioned Holt.   I'd like to see him start out next year in the bullpen, doing a little bit of the Akin type of role from this year.   I think he could go from a 2-3 inning pitcher and transition into a 5 IP sometime during the season if he's looking good.

That’s about how I feel.  He can get MLB hitters out and learn up here in 2-3ip stints until he takes off and forces his way into the rotation.

5 hours ago, emmett16 said:

That’s about how I feel.  He can get MLB hitters out and learn up here in 2-3ip stints until he takes off and forces his way into the rotation.

That sounds good and all, but how often has this realistically happened? A top 100 pitching prospect moved to the bullpen to start his career so that he can transition back to the starter role?  I guess the better question is how many times has this been done successfully?

6 hours ago, emmett16 said:

I’d rather trade him. You can find guys that can be good for a few innings. If you do that to him, you are going to put a low ceiling on his IP next year, which means it’s still going to take a while to get his innings up before you don’t have to worry about it.

He’s a starting pitcher until he shows he not a starting pitcher and we haven’t gotten even remotely close to that part of his career.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I’d rather trade him. You can find guys that can be good for a few innings. If you do that to him, you are going to put a low ceiling on his IP next year, which means it’s still going to take a while to get his innings up before you don’t have to worry about it.

He’s a starting pitcher until he shows he not a starting pitcher and we haven’t gotten even remotely close to that part of his career.

This statement brings up an issue that I see as under appreciated. The Os are now at a place where they are likely to be trading prospects that are very likely to be good MLB players on other teams. To get the kind of players you need to win now in the window that has opened in 2023, they may very well need to trade D.L. Hall or his equivalent position player. D.L. Hall is very likely to be a good MLB pitcher. In the past that has led to a great deal of emotional angst on this board as the "what ifs" are posted in hindsight. Are we all ready for this?

4 hours ago, IPlayGM said:

That sounds good and all, but how often has this realistically happened? A top 100 pitching prospect moved to the bullpen to start his career so that he can transition back to the starter role?  I guess the better question is how many times has this been done successfully?

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I think every player is an individual case.  I would be ok trading him but with lack of pitching prospects, I need to get impact pitching back.  How likely is that? Also, how many innings do you expect him to throw next year? He threw 96 ip this year, 31 last year, 0 2020, 80 2019, 94 2018.  

I’d like to see him get 125 innings next year.  I don’t want to waste those in the AAA.  I think he has the potential to be exceptional but I think it is going to take time.  First half of the season Id like to see him get acclimated to the league in 2-3 inning stints one time through the order to prep him to start games in the second half.  Or trade him.  I don’t think there os much he can do to get better in AAA at this point.  

19 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I think every player is an individual case.  I would be ok trading him but with lack of pitching prospects, I need to get impact pitching back.  How likely is that? Also, how many innings do you expect him to throw next year? He threw 96 ip this year, 31 last year, 0 2020, 80 2019, 94 2018.  

I’d like to see him get 125 innings next year.  I don’t want to waste those in the AAA.  I think he has the potential to be exceptional but I think it is going to take time.  First half of the season Id like to see him get acclimated to the league in 2-3 inning stints one time through the order to prep him to start games in the second half.  Or trade him.  I don’t think there os much he can do to get better in AAA at this point.  

We said there was not much for Grayson to prove at AAA, but there he was and is.