DL Hall 2022

Tony-OH

11 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

So 4 years into the rebuild and we have maybe 1 legitimate starting pitcher in the majors, and 1 injured legitimate starting pitcher prospect in the minors.

So right on track?

There’s a 3rd rail if you need it.

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Even before this outing, it was my opinion to bring him up and just ask him to go 3 innings.  The control will come and go.  He can help this team as a multi inning reliever.  He can gain ML experience.  He can still have his sides and bullpen sessions to work on things.  He's never going to be a starter until he's more consistent with his command.  Instead of wasting bullets in AAA let him do the rest of his training at the ML level.  Someday it will click or it won't click but he can be valuable in the meantime. 

Agree wholeheartedly.  He's at a point where he can get better in the majors just as well as he can get better in the minors.  Start that MLB education right now assuming he's healthy.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

So 4 years into the rebuild and we have maybe 1 legitimate starting pitcher in the majors, and 1 injured legitimate starting pitcher prospect in the minors.

So right on track?

Half empty outlook. GR is likely the #1 prospect in all of baseball. Hall is likely top 30. We also knew we weren’t going to have a farm full of pitching because that isn’t what we’re drafting.  

All things considered, I’m extremely happy with where GR and Hall are. 

14 hours ago, Orioles0615 said:

When Hall inevitably becomes a reliever will he be considered a bust?

Not if he's a shutdown closer.

Right now, Hall is trying to find his command of his offspeed pitches again. It's not surprising given his lack of innings since 2019. 

I know people are excited to see him in an Orioles uniform, but if you want him to be a starter, he needs more work on the command of his offspeed. 

He can probably help the team in a Keegan Akin role right now even with his lack of command, but I'd rather see if he can find that command and pitch as a starter later in the year.

Hall is going to be major league pitcher barring a catastrophic injury, but he needs more time in the minors if that role is going to be a starter. If it's taking him 90 pitches and he can't get through five innings of work against AAA hitters, he's not going get very far in the majors as a starter.

I guess my main point is doing get too down or too excited until we see a sustained success of him getting into or through 6 innings by 90 pitches. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Half empty outlook. GR is likely the #1 prospect in all of baseball. Hall is likely top 30. We also knew we weren’t going to have a farm full of pitching because that isn’t what we’re drafting.  

All things considered, I’m extremely happy with where GR and Hall are. 

I think webbrick's point was, we're four years into this rebuild and that's are current in house starting pitching options. While it may not be as bleak as he stated, the organization is not exactly filled with starting pitching prospects. 

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think webbrick's point was, we're four years into this rebuild and that's are current in house starting pitching options. While it may not be as bleak as he stated, the organization is not exactly filled with starting pitching prospects. 

It isn’t, which is no surprise considering their draft priorities since Elias arrived.  It’s very clear that when the bats are ready, we will need to buy some arms, and I don’t mean the Jordan Lyles and Matt Harveys of the world.   But I think Elias always has known this.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It isn’t, which is no surprise considering their draft priorities since Elias arrived.  It’s very clear that when the bats are ready, we will need to buy some arms, and I don’t mean the Jordan Lyles and Matt Harveys of the world.   But I think Elias always has known this.

Well pray for new ownership because the present lame duck owners are not going to be signing FA starting pitchers.

I would bet that Tyler Wells secondaries weren't this good in the minors nor his command of them.  If I recall correctly, he was basically a fastball slider guy in games last year.  That experience as a reliever doesn't seem to have hurt him too much.  Just saying.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Well pray for new ownership because the present lame duck owners are not going to be signing FA starting pitchers.

Why don't you go to church, take a knee, and let us know how it works out.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

There really aren't any SP prospects. The Royals and Tigers are finding this out the hard way. Happened to the Mets in some aspects as well. The Marlins are a team that has had some pitching prospects pan out but are still largely terrible. Building your team around guys who pitch six innings every five days and get injured all the time is just not prudent. 

• Upvote 2

Hall is listed for today, giving him the Tuesday-Sunday 2-step and Ironpigs rematch, though 1-1 Mickey Moniak no longer there racing to San Diego to try and fill Bryce Harper's spot.    Locked up Scott Kingery and his guaranteed ~$24M may still be in the bottom of the lineup.

If Hall makes it another 4-5 innings this afternoon, he'll be just about at the 50-yard line of his speculative 100 IP for the season.

6 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Hall is listed for today, giving him the Tuesday-Sunday 2-step and Ironpigs rematch, though 1-1 Mickey Moniak no longer there racing to San Diego to try and fill Bryce Harper's spot.    Locked up Scott Kingery and his guaranteed ~$24M may still be in the bottom of the lineup.

If Hall makes it another 4-5 innings this afternoon, he'll be just about at the 50-yard line of his speculative 100 IP for the season.

Terrible outing. 

3.1 IP.  6 H, 7 runs, all earned. 5 BB’s, 2 K’s, 1HR. 

2 runs came in after he left when Bishop replaced him. 

11 base runners and 10 outs. 

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Terrible outing. 

Ouch!  That is depressing after his recent good outings.  I don't think we were ever going to see him before September.  Right now, Elias is not promoting his top prospects based on what the major league O's need, but on what is best for the prospect (and also what maximizes prospect control, although he will never admit that).

38 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Terrible outing. 

Was really confused at first, Norfolk's site has everything under Bishop lol and I was wondering why he threw 122 pitches