Ryan Mountcastle 2022

Tony-OH

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

And yet we were:

• A stupid play by Trey Mancini getting caught off first
  • A doink off the foul pole on a fly ball that carried
  • A horrible relay throw by Urias

away from taking a 2-1 lead into the 9th!

Have to think Mateo makes a better relay throw there.  But, baseball is a funny game where weird things happen.  I know I'll just feel a lot more confident when Hays, Mountcastle, Mateo, and Rutschman are in the lineup and Grayson Rodriguez replaces Watkins in the rotation.  Of course, Spenser will go out and spin a three hit shutout after I say that because baseball is a funny game where weird things happen.

36 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Would like to hear from someone other than Mountcastle that coming off the IL is possible, but good news nonetheless.

Going to have to send him down to A ball to start his rehab.  Once he shows mastery of the strike zone at all levels he can come back up.

• Haha 1

On 5/17/2022 at 3:54 PM, SteveA said:

And yet we were:

• A stupid play by Trey Mancini getting caught off first
  • A doink off the foul pole on a fly ball that carried
  • A horrible relay throw by Urias

away from taking a 2-1 lead into the 9th!

Gotta love baseball. I'm still headscratching off that Mancini play. Did he think with a good jump he was going to make 3rd with his wheels? lol

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Gotta love baseball. I'm still headscratching off that Mancini play. Did he think with a good jump he was going to make 3rd with his wheels? lol

He thought it wouldn’t get caught.   I think anyone in that situation would have taken a step or two towards 2B, just like Hays did last night on a similar play.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

He thought it wouldn’t get caught.   I think anyone in that situation would have taken a step or two towards 2B, just like Hays did last night on a similar play.  

Nah, the Hays play was completely different because it was a rocket shot right at the first baseman, absoultely nothing he could do. Mancini was a just brain fart. You dont take off for second on a bloop that may or not drop in that was barely past the infield dirt. It's just an awful, awful base running mistake and one that Mancini nwoudl certainly atest to that he royally screwed up.

He's typically a heads up player so I'll just chalk that up to an honest mistake, but one that can never, ever happen again. The reason why you freeze on that play or take a step back is for the very reason is if it's caught's a double play. If it drops in and you get thrown out at second, it's only one out.

On 5/17/2022 at 4:00 PM, NCRaven said:

Have to think Mateo makes a better relay throw there.  But, baseball is a funny game where weird things happen.  I know I'll just feel a lot more confident when Hays, Mountcastle, Mateo, and Rutschman are in the lineup and Grayson Rodriguez replaces Watkins in the rotation.  Of course, Spenser will go out and spin a three hit shutout after I say that because baseball is a funny game where weird things happen.

No, Spencer will be traded to New York for a PTBNL, where he will give them a trio of aces w/ Cole and Cortes.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SteveA said:

I liked toggling the sort on your pre-set to EV...his 96.0 was third.    His maxEV "only" 110 there stood out among guys more often around 115 in that Top 10.    The man hits the ball hard a lot, even if the raw is a little short of the Yordan-Judge (Mayo?) experience.

I still hope Adley and Gunnar and Cowser and Kjerstad and Mayo prove even worthier of Top of Lineup jobs in a couple months or years, but glad he's here.    If either beginning his second 1000 plate appearances or the Club can fashion even a little crank on the knob on the Scientific Hitter dial, he could be more than fine.

Now that I am watching the day to day somewhat, I wonder if he will ever be able to root out the 3-4 pitch strikeouts where I could have earned 2-1 count leverage.

• Upvote 1

Wow, he’s hot.  .322/.366/.653 since May 30.   

Last year he was great in June and August, not so great in April, May, July and September.  So, I’m really looking to see if Mountcastle can be more consistent in the second half of 2022.   He’s off to a nice start the first three days of July.  

• 3 weeks later...