The Mark Teixeira Watch part III

Dirtyburnie

A friend of mine had a buddy who used to work for the Baltimore City PD, and he also worked Orioles games. He did get paid overtime but IIRC it was the Orioles who picked up the tab, they weren't being paid by the PD.

I would imagine it would be the same in this case. Plus it may be less expensive than hiring a private security firm for these things and should anything ever get out of hand no need to wait for police to arrive.

You guys should see the fleet of cops at Ravens games. In addition to the Safe Management people, there have to be upwards of 200-250 security people there.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per Espn Radio

"Karl Ravich is reporting that Tex is considering offers and will be making a decision soon."

By "soon" I took it to mean sometime this week, if it was any sooner than that I think they would have worded it differently. Not anything spectacular, but at least there might be a light at the end of the tunnel. Of course, that light could just be another train.

I don't know if anybody else caught it but they just had Karl Ravich (sp?) on Sportscenter commenting on the Tex Sweepstakes, he mentioned all the same teams are still involved but that Tex and Boras keep going back to the Orioles, that he and his wife really have a strong pull towards Baltimore that cancels out any desire to win as soon as possible. He said the contract will likely approach AROD territory and have an annual value of 23-28 million. He didn't say that Tex was going to the O's but his interview was more pro-Baltimore than any piece of National News Media that I have seen so far. If you had to guess who the leader for Tex was based on his segment, it would have to be the O's!

A friend of mine had a buddy who used to work for the Baltimore City PD, and he also worked Orioles games. He did get paid overtime but IIRC it was the Orioles who picked up the tab, they weren't being paid by the PD.

I would imagine it would be the same in this case. Plus it may be less expensive than hiring a private security firm for these things and should anything ever get out of hand no need to wait for police to arrive.

I know in NY that police security details, whether they are for concerts, sporting events, or even some bars want a uniform cop out front during operating hours are all paid for by the company that is requesting the security. These are filled as OT shifts, so as not to take a patrol unit off of the street.

Per Espn Radio

Karl Ravich is reporting that Tex is considering offers and will be making a decision soon.

By "soon" I took it to mean sometime this week, if it was any sooner than that I think they would have worded it differently. Not anything spectacular, but at least there might be a light at the end of the tunnel, of course, that light could just be another train.

Thank God.

Let's get this over with.

I don't know if anybody else caught it but they just had Karl Ravich (sp?) on Sportscenter commenting on the Tex Sweepstakes, he mentioned all the same teams are still involved but that Tex and Boras keep going back to the Orioles, that he and his wife really have a strong pull towards Baltimore that cancels out any desire to win as soon as possible. He said the contract will likely approach AROD territory and have an annual value of 23-28 million. He didn't say that Tex was going to the O's but his interview was more pro-Baltimore than any piece of National News Media that I have seen so far. If you had to guess who the leader for Tex was based on his segment, it would have to be the O's!

What??? The National media is starting to see what is going on!!!!!:D

If that's the case, Angelos better get ready to pour some of his fortune into the team's payroll, because Tex is not going to bring in that kind of money even if we start competing.

If the price per year is in this range, I will go on record as saying Tex will be a terrible signing. 28 million per year? Oh, God. Please, no!

Per Espn Radio

"Karl Ravich is reporting that Tex is considering offers and will be making a decision soon."

By "soon" I took it to mean sometime this week, if it was any sooner than that I think they would have worded it differently. Not anything spectacular, but at least there might be a light at the end of the tunnel. Of course, that light could just be another train.

UPDATE: Just heard it again and the quote has changed to "Mark Texaira is close to making a decision and he is very interested in playing near his hometown". Then they mentioned that Baltimore and Washington are the two teams close to home that are pursuing him.

Again from the way it was read I took "close to making a decision" to mean sometime in the next couple of days.

If the price per year is in this range, I will go on record as saying Tex will be a terrible signing. 28 million per year? Oh, God. Please, no!

I hope its not 28mil a year either, but at this point I really think it would mean alot to all O's fans to get this guy no matter what the cost. Coming into the offseason I didn't buy into all the arguments that signing Tex would be a great idea but after everything that has happened on these boards the last couple weeks I don't know if I can handle not signing Tex.

I also have a feeling we are going to get trashed in the media if we sign Tex, much like Onley's article the other day.

I hope its not 28mil a year either, but at this point I really think it would mean alot to all O's fans to get this guy no matter what the cost. Coming into the offseason I didn't buy into all the arguments that signing Tex would be a great idea but after everything that has happened on these boards the last couple weeks I don't know if I can handle not signing Tex.

I also have a feeling we are going to get trashed in the media if we sign Tex, much like Onley's article the other day.

We'll either be trashed or ignored until we start winning. Personally, I'd rather be trashed.

Archived