Buster Olney misses the point

tywright

If it was just sentimentality, that would be one thing. But Tex is a premier first baseman in the league and a premier all around player. It's not like he's just some random dude that happened to grow up near Baltimore.

Yea, but to give anyone a contract that big is always a huge risk, even if he does live near Baltimore. Too many things can go wrong, and not a lot right.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While I agree that Olney's take wasn't as three-dimensional as I'd like, I think the above is an excellent point. It is more prudent to go in big with an all-in investment when it's more directed, and that investment will have an immediate effect on whether a team competes or not.

Right now, we're backed in a corner and going all-in (rather than going all-in to in a pro-active way, we're being reactive.) And we're doing it on the flop, with an incomplete set, rather than, say, on the River, when we have full information. And we're doing this knowing full well that the Yanks, Rays, and Sox are holding good hands.

But Olney is working from the assumption that if we sign Tex, that we won't or can't sign anyone else. I don't think that's accurate, and Buster knows that we have the ability to raise payroll.

Yea, but to give anyone a contract that big is always a huge risk, even if he does live near Baltimore. Too many things can go wrong, and not a lot right.

Of course things can always go wrong with a big contract. I'm just saying that Tex being a native is just one of the reason's that the O's want to sign him, it's not the only reason.

These are the risks you have to take when you have many obstacles in front of you (i.e. the Sox and MFY will continue to have more cash and more talent).

Odd, I thought Buster nailed it.

He might have nailed it he didn't fail to mention the O's desire to sign a local talent who can fill a hole at 1B for 8-10 years. As well as the O's continued effort to build a solid minor league system like the Rays.

However in the AL East, you need to not just build a strong minor league system you also have to pay the big bucks to attract talent.

Right, and he address that as well...we shouldn't be trying to grab any sort of premier FA right now. Agree or disagree but it's a valid opinion and it's not missing the point.

Maybe I just don't get where he comes off saying who should and shouldn't sign someone.

Observing this coldly, I actually agree with Buster (even though I do think a lot of his writing is based on the idea that everyone going to the Yanks and Sox is how things should be).

We do need a lot more than Tex and Tex's contract is going to be restrictive...but we can't observe this coldly.

The team has already lost a good deal of its fan base. Based on what I'm reading here, the team now seems to be on the verge of losing its diehard fans if it doesn't show some commitment somewhere.

Olney doesn't get just how much the Baltimore fan has lost his patience with the warehouse.

Tex from a team building perspective is questionable. Tex from a franchise saving perspective, not so much.

While I agree that Olney's take wasn't as three-dimensional as I'd like, I think the above is an excellent point. It is more prudent to go in big with an all-in investment when it's more directed, and that investment will have an immediate effect on whether a team competes or not.

Right now, we're backed in a corner and going all-in (rather than going all-in to in a pro-active way, we're being reactive.) And we're doing it on the flop, with an incomplete set, rather than, say, on the River, when we have full information. And we're doing this knowing full well that the Yanks, Rays, and Sox are holding good hands.

Wow. What a clunky analogy. Apologies all around. ;)

How are we being reactive? We've been eyeing Tex for many years now. He's the answer to quite a few problems that face the O's. On the surface he solves the 1B and the cleanup batter issue. Beneath the surface it shows the fans, the O's players, future free agents, etc. that the O's Front Office is serious about building this team.

IMO, I like this poker analogy better...the MFY and Sox have already hit their straight, but the O's have 4 hearts and need the last heart for the river.

It's his job to opine.

Obviously, but I think he comes off as somewhat of an elitist. He seems to be saying that it's pure folly for the O's or Nats to even think of signing someone away from the Red Sox or Yankees or Angels or whomever. How could they even dream of bettering their team?

Archived