The attendance thread 2022

Frobby

9 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Not worried about this now. I’ll chat later about it. Back to the game. 

As has been mentioned many times attendance follows winning.  If it was the last week or two of September with a playoff spot on the line maybe you get a bigger walkup, but it was a Tuesday night game during the school year with a season ticket base after four years of being 50 games out of first.  Next year attendance will go up 30%.

On Tuesday September 7th, 1971 the dynastic Orioles coming off two straight World Series and destined for a third hosted the Indians and drew 7,196.  The next night, with Palmer on the mound, they drew 5,601.  The O's largest crowd that September was the finale that saw them close out the season with 11 straight wins, and it drew 21,028. Yes, it was a different era. But they'll be fine.

The last road game of that '71 season was another Palmer start in Cleveland, a Sunday day game.  He threw a shutout, game moved along at a crisp 1:58.  And 2,967 fans came to 80,000 seat Municipal Stadium to see it.  You could have walked up 10 minutes before first pitch and bought 75,000 tickets.

Edited by DrungoHazewood

It’s gonna take more than 3.5 games back in WC to bring fans back after 5 years of unwatchable baseball.  Wouldn’t be surprised if next year, same situation, that there would only be a slight uptick in attendance.  It was a rude awakening for me after the 14 years of losing, that so few fans came back in 2012 to watch the magical season.  We will never again see early to mid 90’s attendance, even with a prolonged winning window.   Now maybe if they win the WS they might see a large uptick in season ticket sales, short of that it’s going to take a lot more than a “competitive team” to get butts in the stands.  

On 9/7/2022 at 7:50 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

The last road game of that '71 season was another Palmer start in Cleveland, a Sunday day game.  He threw a shutout, game moved along at a crisp 1:58.  And 2,967 fans came to 80,000 seat Municipal Stadium to see it.  You could have walked up 10 minutes before first pitch and bought 75,000 tickets.

I was 14 at the time. A distant relative of mine by marriage was head of concessions at Cleveland Municipal Stadium.  He knew I was a huge Orioles fan.  While they were in town that week, he got the four Oriole pitchers who won 20 games that year to sign a ball for me, one on each quadrant of the ball.  I think two of them, maybe three, win their 20th game in that series.  It’s my favorite piece of memorabilia, though I didn’t take great care to keep the signatures pristine.  

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Looks like the Orioles attendance will be around 1,360,000 or so. Did lose two games to rainouts.Second lowest attendance at Camden Yards of a season with no fan restrictions. Averaging about 1,200 more per game then the lowest in 2019. 

Baseball has some attendance problems. 10 teams averaging under 20,000 a game 

All of them are non-contenders except for CLE and TB.   No idea what is going on in Cleveland but the issues in Florida are pretty well documented.  It's an embarrassment to the sport and to fans everywhere that the Rays never are able to draw despite being perennial contenders.  They are ranked 28/30.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Aglets said:

All of them are non-contenders except for CLE and TB.   No idea what is going on in Cleveland but the issues in Florida are pretty well documented.  It's an embarrassment to the sport and to fans everywhere that the Rays never are able to draw despite being perennial contenders.  They are ranked 28/30.

This writer claims many double headers  and many day games Not sure about mentioning the war in Ukraine. Not sure why he is comparing attendance to last year which was not a normal year.

Attendance and interest up for the Cleveland Guardians from 2021
https://factoryofsadness.co/2022/07/31/attendance-up-for-the-cleveland-guardians-from-2021/

2 hours ago, Aglets said:

Tampa's lease runs out in 2027.  I suspect they will either get a new stadium by then or they will relocate.  Oakland will be the other team that has to do something as well.  I suspect The A's could follow the Raiders to Las Vegas.  Once these two get settled then I suspect baseball will expand two more teams.

Attendance is 1,316,028 with four dates remaining.   That puts them above 2019’s total. 1.375 mm for a final tally?  

I’d expect a solid increase next year, with the team expected to be competitive.  But it’s probably going to be a slow build.  A reasonable goal would be to top 2018’s 1.564 mm.   That’s the last time the O’s went into a season expecting to be competitive (though they weren’t).   

On 9/21/2022 at 10:58 AM, accinfo said:

Tampa's lease runs out in 2027.  I suspect they will either get a new stadium by then or they will relocate.  Oakland will be the other team that has to do something as well.  I suspect The A's could follow the Raiders to Las Vegas.  Once these two get settled then I suspect baseball will expand two more teams.

That's certainly been MLB's plan -- except that the plan had been two get the stadium problems in TB and Oakland resolved years ago. Rob Manfred has shown either rare wisdom or cowardice (or both) by pretty much staying out of this since these challenges are far beyond his minimal competence and creativity. 

• 2 weeks later...

The O’s final attendance this year was 1,368,367 up 72.5% from 793,229 in 2021 and up 4.6% from 1,307,807 in 2019.

In MLB as a whole, attendance was 64.6 mm, up 42.6% from 45.3 mm in 2021 but down 5.7% from 68.5 mm in 2019.

So, the Orioles had significantly more bounce-back than most teams, which is not surprising given the improvement in the product on the field.   

Despite the improvement, the O’s were 24th in attendance in 2022, averaging 16,893 per game, compared to the MLB average of 26,873.   So, still 37% below MLB average.   The O’s were 27th in 2021, 28th in 2019.   In their recent peak in 2014 (2,464,473), they were 14th.

It will be interesting to see how much season ticket sales increase after the relatively strong season the team had in 2022 and much-increased expectations for 2023.   Offhand, I’d think that the team could draw 1.6 mm next year, possibly more if the team actually improves on its 83-win season.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

The O’s final attendance this year was 1,368,367 up 72.5% from 793,229 in 2021 and up 4.6% from 1,307,807 in 2019.

In MLB as a whole, attendance was 64.6 mm, up 42.6% from 45.3 mm in 2021 but down 5.7% from 68.5 mm in 2019.

So, the Orioles had significantly more bounce-back than most teams, which is not surprising given the improvement in the product on the field.   

Despite the improvement, the O’s were 24th in attendance in 2022, averaging 16,893 per game, compared to the MLB average of 26,873.   So, still 37% below MLB average.   The O’s were 27th in 2021, 28th in 2019.   In their recent peak in 2014 (2,464,473), they were 14th.

It will be interesting to see how much season ticket sales increase after the relatively strong season the team had in 2022 and much-increased expectations for 2023.   Offhand, I’d think that the team could draw 1.6 mm next year, possibly more if the team actually improves on its 83-win season.  

Also with the play every team in the majors.Lost a Yankee series but MLB  has them for two weekend series,Opening weekend at home. Also the NYM on a weekend should be a nice draw.The other weekend series don't look like strong draws but if they do some popular giveaways should help a little. 

Weekend series are NYY,Det,Pit,Texas,KC,Sea,Min,Mia,NYY,NYM,Col,TB and Boston.

Do play the Cardinals and Dodgers at home but during the week.