4/18: O's Defense Coughs One Up

cboemmeljr

Yep, defense coughs one up, and they did. Personally, I hate the praise given to players that are versatile and "can play" multiple positions. They may be "adequate" but every player has a "best" position. I don't care for Urias at 3rd, and Odor, I really don't know enough about him. Some here want Gutierrez gone (can't hit??), but he can play third. AND speaking of "Coughing Up", the offense coughs it up every night. 22 runs in 10 games!!!??? 4 HR's!!! Mancini 1 RBI. People here love the idea of a Mancini trade and getting a decent return, really?? The pitching has been marvelous...how many innings have they pitched with a lead?? How many with a comfortable lead (I count 1). Yes, the D coughs one up, but when 2 runs/per game seems to be the offensive max, the O's have little chance.

Last night was absolutely on the defense. Urias had plenty of time to make that throw and we would have been out of the inning. 

You can't give ML teams extra outs and expect to win ballgames. 

Another decent performance from the pitching staff wasted.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, AlbNYfan said:

Yep, defense coughs one up, and they did. Personally, I hate the praise given to players that are versatile and "can play" multiple positions. They may be "adequate" but every player has a "best" position. I don't care for Urias at 3rd, and Odor, I really don't know enough about him. Some here want Gutierrez gone (can't hit??), but he can play third. AND speaking of "Coughing Up", the offense coughs it up every night. 22 runs in 10 games!!!??? 4 HR's!!! Mancini 1 RBI. People here love the idea of a Mancini trade and getting a decent return, really?? The pitching has been marvelous...how many innings have they pitched with a lead?? How many with a comfortable lead (I count 1). Yes, the D coughs one up, but when 2 runs/per game seems to be the offensive max, the O's have little chance.

To be fair, I did note the offensive failures at the end of the recap.

Overall, Orioles’ hitters struck out 10 times, left 7 men on base and went 1 for 7 with runners in scoring position.

I'm not concerned about losing this game to errors.  I expect both Urias and Mateo to commit some.   But overall they help the team defensively and we can hope their offense comes around.

Odor is a stopgap IMO.   We are just waiting for the young guys to be ready.

Watkins and Akin pitching well is much more important than losing this game.