Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I wouldn’t say no way. A lot of things can play into that.  Do the Os have some high scoring games where guys get to the plate 5 or 6 times?  Any extra innings games?

IIrC, the Os don’t have a day off the rest of the year, so he’s going to sit out if necessity, so I think this is moot anyway.

The Manfred Man rule has eliminated long extra inning games so that isn't really a concern. Cedric Mullins (who again, bats leadoff) has only had 5 at-bats in 33 games this year and 6 at-bats in 3 others.

I can't find a single stretch where Mullins had 80 at-bats over 18 starts.

Gunnar himself has only had 5 at-bats once in a game thus far, and has had 3 starts where he had fewer than 4 at-bats. He averaged 3.6 at-bats per game in the minors this season. That he is somehow going to average over 4.2 at-bats per game over the next 19 games simply isn't a realistic concern. He just walks too much (plus hit by pitches and sac flies don't count as at-bats). If you sit him even a single game it is an extremely remote concern. 

Edited by MurphDogg

51 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

With baseball I'm pretty sure it's in the CBA.

Why child athletes are allowed to circumvent child labor laws in the US I have no idea.

Michelle Wie for instance was a pro at 15.

I suppose I could research the issue but I don't have much interest in it.

My guess is that professional athletes are treated like entertainers.  There have always been child stars in the movies, for example.  I'm pretty sure that certain educational requirements must be met.

9 minutes ago, Number5 said:

My guess is that professional athletes are treated like entertainers.  There have always been child stars in the movies, for example.  I'm pretty sure that certain educational requirements must be met.

Aren't child stars pretty tightly regulated in how much they can work in a given day?

That doesn't seem to be the case with athletes.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Im old enough to remember when people thought he couldn’t help us this year, that’s he doesn’t have enough AAA time, etc…those were good times.

Thing is you never know if someone will start out great or not. Other than his rough game at 2nd one game this has pretty much been a perfect script. Doesn’t happen very often even for talented players. 

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

The cutoff is 130 at-bats, not plate appearances. He has 50 at-bats so he would need to average 4.21 at-bats per game to reach 130.

Cedric Mullins is averaging 4.3 at-bats per game this season batting leadoff, so there is pretty much no way that Henderson would need to sit more than one game, if that, to exceed 80 more at-bats.

Henderson himself is averaging 3.57 AB/game.  It’s unlikely he’ll threaten 130 at bats unless he stops drawing any walks, which seems unlikely given the patience he’s shown so far. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

500k isn’t a ton of people and how many of them were born elsewhere and are now living here?

Soccer is very very far down the list for Americans.

I think you may be a bit out of touch here.  When I look at the weekend TV listings, it’s unbelievable how much soccer is on compared to ten years ago. My generations doesn’t care about soccer much.  Your generation cares a little.  The younger generations care more and more.  

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Elias sat Hays to preserve his rookie status.  No chance Henderson exceeds the cutoff.

Well, the question was whether they’d need to sit Henderson to preserve his rookie status.  The answer is, they won’t have to.  But they might sit him for a game or two anyways, since they’re about to play 20 games in 20 days.  

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think you may be a bit out of touch here.  When I look at the weekend TV listings, it’s unbelievable how much soccer is on compared to ten years ago. My generations doesn’t care about soccer much.  Your generation cares a little.  The younger generations care more and more.  

Well immigration, both legal and illegal, are huge for soccer in this country.  The soccer fan base is very diverse, especially amongst younger people.

But Americans don’t care that much about it and the mls isn’t getting great ratings.   

Soccer is big in this country in certain areas, like Balt/DC.

As a country and speaking in general, people don’t care much about it.