Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Nope.

Hays.

Mountcastle didn't get a September callup.

Edit- Oh, the 2020 thing.

I didn't even consider that.  No idea, the 2020 season was weird.

Hays had a pretty modest 2019 minor league season. I may be wrong but wasn’t he called up late?  Did September games count then either like they do now?

Just now, eddie83 said:

Hays had a pretty modest 2019 minor league season. I may be wrong but wasn’t he called up late?  Did September games count then either like they do now?

Not arguing that, just saying that I recall Hays sitting late in the season and just barely making the rookie eligibility cutoff.  Remember Hays was also up under Buck and Dan.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Not arguing that, just saying that I recall Hays sitting late in the season and just barely making the rookie eligibility cutoff.  Remember Hays was also up under Buck and Dan.

No I wasn’t implying you were. Yeah he also had played in 17. I just don’t recall all the details to be honest. 

His baseball ref page has him at 2.057 days of service before this year. 

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He's here, he's there, he's every ___ing where.

An average Premier League match on NBC's platforms gets about 500k viewers.  The average O's or Nats game on MASN gets less than 50k.  I'm going to guess that if MASN was available all over the country like NBC those numbers would go up by several dozen.

Last night FOX aired on National TV the Pirates at Mets and A’s at Astros. Let’s see what ratings they get. 

I know nothing about soccer but I did look up and see the Premier League only plays 38 “matches.” That makes it similar to NFL in this country. Limited games so each game is more of an event.  

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well immigration, both legal and illegal, are huge for soccer in this country.  The soccer fan base is very diverse, especially amongst younger people.

But Americans don’t care that much about it and the mls isn’t getting great ratings.   

Soccer is big in this country in certain areas, like Balt/DC.

As a country and speaking in general, people don’t care much about it.

Ahem... leaving aside your "musings".... soccer is more popular than golf and tennis and almost as popular as the NHL.  While soccer's fan base is diverse, a higher percentage of Hispanics like MLB (58%) and college football (56%) than they do soccer (55%).  Younger people are the fastest growing soccer fans in the country.    https://morningconsult.com/2022/04/12/world-cup-us-soccer-fans/

24 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I know nothing about soccer but I did look up and see the Premier League only plays 38 “matches.” That makes it similar to NFL in this country. Limited games so each game is more of an event.  

The 38 matches is not quite the same as the NFL season because European soccer teams may play in a variety of cups/tournaments throughout the season (so they play a lot more than just 38 games).  As explained in the link below:

First, here’s an example of something a TV announcer in England might say that you would never hear an American announcer say: that a team is playing their next four games in four different competitions! Specifically, you might hear them say “Manchester City are playing in the Premier League this weekend, the League Cup Final at Wembley next weekend, then the FA Cup quarterfinals, and then they’re at Barcelona in the Champions League.”

https://groundhopperguides.com/guide-leagues-cups-english-football/

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Last night FOX aired on National TV the Pirates at Mets and A’s at Astros. Let’s see what ratings they get. 

Yes and no.  They play 38 league matches.  But all English teams are also involved in the FA cup until/unless they're eliminated, the top four divisions are in the League Cup, the top seven teams in the Premier League are in either the Champions League, the Europa League, or the Europa Conference League.  So many/most teams play twice a week for much of the year.  There are also what the Germans call Englisherwoche or "English Weeks" where everyone plays a midweek fixture in addition to the weekend league match. Then there are international breaks every so often and the National teams play 2-3 games during those weeks.  And the regular soccer season for most of the world is August-May, with many summers packed with World Cup or Euros and other competitions.

So a good player on a good team will play more like an NBA or NHL number of games a year.  So TV ratings might be more relevant if you compared to Wizards or Caps.

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yes and no.  They play 38 league matches.  But all English teams are also involved in the FA cup until/unless they're eliminated, the top four divisions are in the League Cup, the top seven teams in the Premier League are in either the Champions League, the Europa League, or the Europa Conference League.  So many/most teams play twice a week for much of the year.  There are also what the Germans call Englisherwoche or "English Weeks" where everyone plays a midweek fixture in addition to the weekend league match. Then there are international breaks every so often and the National teams play 2-3 games during those weeks.  And the regular soccer season for most of the world is August-May, with many summers packed with World Cup or Euros and other competitions.

So a good player on a good team will play more like an NBA or NHL number of games a year.  So TV ratings might be more relevant if you compared to Wizards or Caps.

Ok. I learned something.  

I'm not a huge soccer fan, but I've grown to appreciate it over the years.  I'm not about to adopt a team, start waking up at odd hours to watch my team and buy jerseys.  I've got a baseball team, a football team and have casual interest in basketball.  There's just not enough time.  I will watch the World Cup but that's about it.  If friends are watching or it's on at a bar, I'll watch.  A few weeks ago, I went to a soccer game at NC State since my cousin played there and he was in town.  Good times.

A giant plus in soccer's corner:  It's nice to be able to sit down and watch a game without interruptions.  Two 45 minute halves with a break for halftime.  No TV timeouts, no commercial breaks between innings (I don't need to see another MASN commercial or FanDuel commercial, ever), no cutting away from the action.  The action never stops for TV.  I have been at NFL games where NOTHING IS HAPPENING AND ITS BECAUSE THEY'RE ON A TV BREAK AND ITS TERRIBLE.  With soccer, it's just 45 minutes of gameplay that doesn't stop.  

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not a huge soccer fan, but I've grown to appreciate it over the years.  I'm not about to adopt a team, start waking up at odd hours to watch my team and buy jerseys.  I've got a baseball team, a football team and have casual interest in basketball.  There's just not enough time.  I will watch the World Cup but that's about it.  If friends are watching or it's on at a bar, I'll watch.  A few weeks ago, I went to a soccer game at NC State since my cousin played there and he was in town.  Good times.

A giant plus in soccer's corner:  It's nice to be able to sit down and watch a game without interruptions.  Two 45 minute halves with a break for halftime.  No TV timeouts, no commercial breaks between innings (I don't need to see another MASN commercial or FanDuel commercial, ever), no cutting away from the action.  The action never stops for TV.  I have been at NFL games where NOTHING IS HAPPENING AND ITS BECAUSE THEY'RE ON A TV BREAK AND ITS TERRIBLE.  With soccer, it's just 45 minutes of gameplay that doesn't stop.  

You forgot about the down time for fake injuries when the player goes down in agony, rolls around screaming for 5 minutes, then gets up running at full speed as if nothing ever happened.  

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Well immigration, both legal and illegal, are huge for soccer in this country.  The soccer fan base is very diverse, especially amongst younger people.

But Americans don’t care that much about it and the mls isn’t getting great ratings.   

Soccer is big in this country in certain areas, like Balt/DC.

As a country and speaking in general, people don’t care much about it.

I know a lot of Americans who enjoy watching European soccer.  Just like Europeans and others like watching the NBA.  MLS?  Not so much.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

You forgot about the down time for fake injuries when the player goes down in agony, rolls around screaming for 5 minutes, then gets up running at full speed as if nothing ever happened.  

I'm fine with someone faking an injury if the game doesn't stop.  I love the NFL and legit injuries happen but cutting away for 2 minutes of commercials only to come back to see the injured player getting hauled onto the cart only for them to cut away for 3 more minutes of commercials is annoying.