Means to Have TJ surgery

TonySoprano

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sure they expect him back at some point in 2023, but what point?   The typical range is 11-18 months, with 15 months the average.   That would put the midpoint in July/August.  

Where are you seeing these numbers?  A cursory google search indicates 12-15 months for pitchers, and half that for position players.

The numbers align, but I'm just wondering how much of that is due to the offseason.

If a guy has surgery in Aug, and is rehabbing the following Sept. but they decide just to leave him shut down until April, what may well have been a 12-13 month rehab is classified as an 18 month one.

I guess I'm just curious as to how much the six month offseason is skewing these numbers.

I personally would like Means to be ready on 5/1 next year.  But, of course, hope in one hand......

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Where are you seeing these numbers?  A cursory google search indicates 12-15 months for pitchers, and half that for position players.

The numbers align, but I'm just wondering how much of that is due to the offseason.

If a guy has surgery in Aug, and is rehabbing the following Sept. but they decide just to leave him shut down until April, what may well have been a 12-13 month rehab is classified as an 18 month one.

I guess I'm just curious as to how much the six month offseason is skewing these numbers.

I personally would like Means to be ready on 5/1 next year.  But, of course, hope in one hand......

My numbers came from a study I read, or an article about a series of studies.   I may have posted a link earlier in this thread, or another thread.   I’ll check.  
Edit: here’s my link, from a couple of pages back in this thread: https://globalsportmatters.com/health/2019/07/09/mixed-results-await-pitchers-after-tommy-john-surgery/

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

My numbers came from a study I read, or an article about a series of studies.   I may have posted a link earlier in this thread, or another thread.   I’ll check.  
Edit: here’s my link, from a couple of pages back in this thread: https://globalsportmatters.com/health/2019/07/09/mixed-results-await-pitchers-after-tommy-john-surgery/

Thanks for that.  

All we can really do is hope now.

With how this organization deals with injuries/rehab, if Means is back pitching games in Baltimore by mid-July I would call that a win.  I would be pleasantly surprised if we get him back earlier than that but I'm expecting him to miss most of next season. 

2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

With how this organization deals with injuries/rehab, if Means is back pitching games in Baltimore by mid-July I would call that a win.  I would be pleasantly surprised if we get him back earlier than that but I'm expecting him to miss most of next season. 

On the bright side we've heard about how hard a worker Means is and hopefully that translates to a faster recovery.

16 minutes ago, foxfield said:

My hope for Means is that when he returns he is as good or better. than he was before.  I could care less whether that is in 12 or 15 or 18 months.

I care, because he’s only under team control through 2024.   Missing the rest of 2022 and all of 2023 would be a big blow, especially if our team is relatively competitive next year.   I’m hoping we get at least a few months out of him next year, but we can’t count on it.  

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I care, because he’s only under team control through 2024.   Missing the rest of 2022 and all of 2023 would be a big blow, especially if our team is relatively competitive next year.   I’m hoping we get at least a few months out of him next year, but we can’t count on it.  

Of course, I mean only to point out that it is much more important that he comes back strong than he makes it back.  But clearly, with a small window the quicker he returns the better for the Orioles.

If I were bold, I might try a small extension...

I can already imagine a good 2024 in the start of the TJ honeymoon window, and Elias not giving him big $$$ for his age 32-35 seasons.    That will definitely go over fine here :)

Noticed his 29th birthday was earlier this week just before the procedure - birthday wishes for a speedy recovery!

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

I can already imagine a good 2024 in the start of the TJ honeymoon window, and Elias not giving him big $$$ for his age 32-35 seasons.    That will definitely go over fine here :)

Noticed his 29th birthday was earlier this week just before the procedure - birthday wishes for a speedy recovery!

I’d think of him as a veteran starter that we trade for early next season to fill out our young rotation for a playoff push in ‘23 and ‘24, but one we don’t have to trade any prospects for. Makes it feel less of a loss, and puts the concept of extending him in context….which is to say, a bad idea. 

1 hour ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I’d think of him as a veteran starter that we trade for early next season to fill out our young rotation for a playoff push in ‘23 and ‘24, but one we don’t have to trade any prospects for. Makes it feel less of a loss, and puts the concept of extending him in context….which is to say, a bad idea. 

For the Angelos brothers, spending money is always a bad idea.  It's all about increasing the profit margin.