ESPN's Ravech: Teixeira has "enormous attraction to the Orioles" Close to signing

Tony-OH

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The opt out would work however the two sides decide to make it work.

However in most cases with Boras, its just a player's option to basically void the rest of his deal and become a FA. In recent years ARod, Burnett, and JD Drew have opted out of their current deals to get bigger ones.

The state of baseball keeps getting worse and worse, and it's because of crap like this.

Granted, I'd give him the opt-out if it was between that or not getting him.

But the MLBPA are sticking it to the owners so hard it's ridiculous. No salary cap & opt-out clauses for the elite to make EVEN MORE money then even their great grandchildren would ever need.

It'd be great if an opt-out clause worked both ways, then they would think twice about taking it. Imagine being able to opt-out of Belle's contract, or Cordova's, or Segui's, or Gibbons. It's just pathetic.

Baseball America said so a year ago, and in the time since then we added the top pitcher in the draft, our top prospect developed into the top hitting prospect in the game and our other two top pitching prospects made steps forward. In that year, the Nationals failed to sign their top pick in the draft, their top prospect (Marrero) stagnated, though he remains young for the league and their top pitching prospect (Ross Detwiler) also did not progress as much as hoped.

Marrero didn't stagnate. He got injured and his numbers were pretty good up until that point. He is still way young and has tons of potential. If he can stay healthy. At least it wasn't a fluke injury like Mark Pawelek.

Make it year 5 or 6 and I'd love it, but I'd expect Boras to push for year three to maximize the additional money he'll be able to collect. It wouldn't make as much sense for Boras to push for it at 34 or 35 years of age. And if it is year three, let's be realisitic, we'd try to meet his asking price and could make a bad contract turn into an awful one.
Ok, I think we generally agree then.

Opt out in year 3 = bad. Opt out in year 5 = good. Opt out in year 4 = ???

Did you see the contract I proposed a few pages back. It had a significant signing bonus, but was then heavily backloaded and include an opt out after year 5. What would you think of that type of deal?

Now thats just not true.

C'mon, I'm not a huge Boras fan or anything, but theres a reason so many players hire him. If Boras doesn't have his clients best interest in mind, he wouldn't be able to have built the career that he has.

The evidence is that he doesn't if the client decides its in their best interest to end up in a particular location. Too much smoke for their not to be fire with incidents where a player wants to go somewhere specific and being forced to dump or go around Boras to accomplish that. If their interests are in alignment (biggest contract possible) then he is great.

That said, if we find out Teix could end up being the first (or at least the first I am aware of) Boras client to to take a lessor contract to play for the Orioles he'll immediately become one of my favorite players.

Ok, I think we generally agree then.

Opt out in year 3 = bad. Opt out in year 5 = good. Opt out in year 4 = ???

Did you see the contract I proposed a few pages back. It had a significant signing bonus, but was then heavily backloaded and include an opt out after year 5. What would you think of that type of deal?

I know you weren't asking me, but I liked it. It contained the key parts that made it fair as it could be.

But the MLBPA are sticking it to the owners so hard it's ridiculous. No salary cap & opt-out clauses for the elite to make EVEN MORE money then even their great grandchildren would ever need.

They only are able to make the money because people are willing to pay it. Let's stop characterizing people who make large amounts of money as highway robbers. They're good at what they do.

Another long and mostly entertaining thread! Things seem to be picking up as Tex nears an agreement (hopefully).

I just want this to be over before Friday. I took off work to finish my Christmas shopping while the wife was working. It would not be cool to tell her on X-mas morning that there are no presents for her because I had to sit on the Hangout all day!! At least at work I can make up an excuse as to why I'm not doing anything, but no presents for the wife is a no-no!! :D

Hello Hangout. My name is Glorydays. I have been mostly MIA for the past couple of weeks. Here are my thoughts...

1 - The opt out clause is an excellent indicator that things are progressing in the O's favor. He doesn't get this with Boston or NYY and probably doesn't even ask.

2 - I am still extremely worried about Boras and the Sox. You just can't believe that Boras is not using this to get Boston or anyone else to pay more - as it has been reported in the press.

3 - I think SportsGuy has had some really insightful posts - and I'm not joking.

4 - I think JTrea will continue to remind us for the next 5 years that he began the original "The Mark Teixera Watch" thread.

5 - I think we all need drop Roy Firestone a note saying thanks for his contributions to the Hangout. His name has taken a beaten in the press.

6 - I think the Ravens win game #3 against the Steelers in the 2nd round of the playoffs and we will all forget those heart crushing regular season defeats.

Those are my thoughts.

GD

They only are able to make the money because people are willing to pay it. Let's stop characterizing people who make large amounts of money as highway robbers. They're good at what they do.

You can stop characterizing them if you want, but I'm not going to. It's pathetic.

Thanks for the breaking news though, professional athletes are good at what they do, good to know.

Archived