ESPN's Ravech: Teixeira has "enormous attraction to the Orioles" Close to signing

Tony-OH

I think Sheets might take us a little more seriously if we really want him.

I'd love to get Sheets, and I'd take a chance on him on a 3 year deal.

However, I think after what Burnett just got, Sheets will take a chance and sign a 1 year deal, and hope he can stay healthy. IMO, I say he goes back to the Brewers on a 1 year deal, and if not them some team in the NL. I don't think he'd come to an AL team in hopes of building his value back up, especially to an AL east team. Maybe a team out west. I could see the A's trying to get him for 1 year. If he pitches well, they trade him at the deadline, or take the two picks when he walks.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes he did, I've seen him at Terps basketball games, he's a really cool guy.

He's also a big Orioles fan, and is the only one on ESPN that gives us some respect.

But how would he knows we're convinced we're getting him without reading the Hangout? I really think he does.

Very possible, but keep in mind he is from the area (Olney I believe). Even though it's MoCo, a lot of people there are still Oriole fans. He could just be talking about hearsay from family/friends. It would be cool if he check out OH though.

Very possible, but keep in mind he is from the area (Olney I believe). Even though it's MoCo, a lot of people there are still Oriole fans. He could just be talking about hearsay from family/friends. It would be cool if he check out OH though.

This is true, but most people I talk to outside of the Hangout aren't necessarily very engaged fans. They don't follow the off-season much, except for what's on ESPN.

Almost all of my friend's who are up-to-date on the Tex situation are actually members of Orioles Hangout.

Yes he did, I've seen him at Terps basketball games, he's a really cool guy.

He's also a big Orioles fan, and is the only one on ESPN that gives us some respect.

But how would he knows we're convinced we're getting him without reading the Hangout? I really think he does.

Roy "Freakin" Firestone. I actually met Roy this past year at an Orioles game. It was the first time I met him in person, but he talked to me for a good 10 minutes. Signed my ball "Thanks for Hanging Out" as we talked about OH. He has solid contacts and is a great guy. He must be, athletes always felt ok to cry around him when he did his show "Up Close Prime Time". Does everyone know that Roy has won 7 Emmy's and he was in an episode of "Married with Children"?

People around here should give that guy more credit. When you meet him, it only takes 5 minutes to know he is the real deal. His passion for the Orioles is genuine. He lives in LA and travels here just to see games. As Dick Vitale would say "He's awesome with a capital A baby!"

Red Sox

As the bidding intensifies for free agent Mark Teixeira, the Red Sox have let it be known they are willing to go only so far. Should another team up the ante and, as has been speculated, offer a 10-year deal, the Sox won’t be willing to go to such lengths to sign the first baseman.
As many as four teams - the Red Sox, Washington Nationals, Los Angeles Angels and Baltimore Orioles - are believed to have submitted offers for Teixeira, the top free agent position player of this offseason. Each offer is believed to be eight years in length with an average annual value of at least $20 million.

But as the negotiations narrow and a decision draws nearer, there is industry speculation that agent Scott Boras may be trying to induce one of the teams to go to a 10-year deal to separate itself from the pack. Many believe the Nationals, who desperately need a marquee player to become the face of the franchise, might be willing to extend to 10 years to offset their lack of competitiveness.

The entire article is rather interesting.

I don't understand why everyone gets so uptight about Gammons/Rosenthal/Olney. And who cares about whether they will eat crow if Teixeira signs with the Orioles. The important point is getting the player, not what the "experts" are reporting.

The goal is for the team to get better and win, not get "love" from ESPN.

Wait a second... is Scott Van Pelt JTrea?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knYBw2aRTtk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knYBw2aRTtk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Olney has twice been nominated for the Pulitzer Prize for his beat writing (1997 and 1999). He used to be a writer for the Baltimore Sun. I would say he has contacts.

Archived