2022 Ongoing Lineup Thread

OsFanSinceThe80s

15 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I don’t think that’s clear. It’s either Hays Stowers or Santander with Adley at DH. Hays was just off. Santander is leading HR hitter. So Stowers is odd man out today. Not shocking. 

I suppose you could add Mullins to that list too but he also was just off a game. 

Yea but Stowers is sitting a lot, not just today.  He clearly has no faith in him vs lefties (which is odd because he has hit lefties well).  

There is obviously something that bothers him that he doesn’t feel he’s ready to for a bigger role.  He didn’t struggle to put Adley in.  He hasn’t struggled to put Gunnar in.

But Stowers isn’t getting anything  close to that.  I know he’s not at their level but he has upside and has played reasonably well.  He should be getting more time.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea but Stowers is sitting a lot, not just today.  He clearly has no faith in him vs lefties (which is odd because he has hit lefties well).  

There is obviously something that bothers him that he doesn’t feel he’s ready to for a bigger role.  He didn’t struggle to put Adley in.  He hasn’t struggled to put Gunnar in.

But Stowers isn’t getting anything  close to that.  I know he’s not at their level but he has upside and has played reasonably well.  He should be getting more time.

I hated seeing Hyde pinch hit for Stowers last night instead of for Odor who was next up. With a big lead, I'd rather give Odor some rest and see what Stowers can do against a left handed pitcher.

• Upvote 1

Gunnar is 4-0, and bless Cal Ripken's spirit, I know one streak that ain't gonna change as long as the other stays intact.

I believe Gunnar's precise call up date measured to enable virtually everyday play without overrunning 130 at-bats so he can battle Josh Jung, Colton Cowser, Triston Casas and Anthony Volpe for draft pick prizes in 2023.

Edited by Just Regular

5 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Gunnar is 4-0, and bless Cal Ripken's spirit, I know one streak that ain't gonna change as long as the other stays intact.

I believe Gunnar's precise call up date measured to enable virtually everyday play without overrunning 130 at-bats so he can battle Josh Jung, Colton Cowser, Triston Casas and Anthony Volpe for draft pick prizes in 2023.

Dissing Grayson like that.

I agree with the sentiments expressed about Stowers. If this season is about development and the future which I thought Elias made clear at the trade deadline (maybe I read things wrong?), then why not let the young players play and get as much experience as possible? Why not allow Stowers more opportunities at the big league level to gain experience against left handed pitching? Since Odor is not going to be on the team and is by far the worse hitting regular, why are we still playing him so frequently? 

I know I’m not the only one asking these questions, but it’s still frustrating.

I guess with the double header tomorrow everyone will play then?

7 minutes ago, bluedog said:

I hated seeing Hyde pinch hit for Stowers last night instead of for Odor who was next up. With a big lead, I'd rather give Odor some rest and see what Stowers can do against a left handed pitcher.

Yea I said the same thing last night.  Elias does things that focus on the long term..well, playing Stowers vs lefties helps with that.  

Im Not saying Stowers needs to play every day.  I said before 4-5 times a week is fine but he’s not getting that.  I’d rather him be up here than AAA but it would be nice if he was playing more , especially since it’s really Odor that is holding him up.

• Upvote 1

Death, taxes, the OH having an issue with Hyde’s lineup decision. The guy can’t win!

This is the best day game lineup we’ve seen in a long time. I like it. 

(I do want to see Stowers get more opportunities though.  Likely he won’t on Adley DH days and that makes sense to me.)

1 minute ago, Fiver6565 said:

Death, taxes, the OH having an issue with Hyde’s lineup decision. The guy can’t win!

(I do want to see Stowers get more opportunities though.  Likely he won’t on Adley DH days and that makes sense to me.)

What is the lineup today? I haven't seen it yet.

I have only one issue with Hyde's lineups. Just one. Otherwise I love how he's handled lineups, the bench and particularly the rotation.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Well, your last point is exactly my only point.  Not bashing the lineup.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea I said the same thing last night.  Elias does things that focus on the long term..well, playing Stowers vs lefties helps with that.  

Im Not saying Stowers needs to play every day.  I said before 4-5 times a week is fine but he’s not getting that.  I’d rather him be up here than AAA but it would be nice if he was playing more , especially since it’s really Odor that is holding him up.

When they dealt Trey and Lopez that was about the long term. That’s out the window now. It’s all about trying to get to the playoffs now. Things changed. 

I don't think either side is true.  Elias talks about building a sustainable winning organization.  That means you are always thinking about both the present AND the future.  People like to imagine it like a light switch, one day you are building for the future but once you are in contention you flip the switch and suddenly everything you do is about this year and this year only.  Maybe Boston operates that way, but Tampa doesn't and I don't think the Orioles will either.  Even in contending years wemay make trades that negatively affect the current team at the expense of sustaining the organization as a perennial contender.  Get used to it.  There's no light switch.  Elias is playing the long game and the short game simultaneously and Hyde is trying to win games with the roster he has.

• Upvote 1

^^ I think Elias is thinking long view, while Hyde is trying to win as many games as possible this month. Elite prospects like Gunnar and Adley were clearly brought up to play, and I don’t think Hyde had a lot of say in whether they played or not (but also they’re excellent, so it’s a moot point). And I also think Elias made the decision to start Hall in Tampa. 

For more bubble prospects, they clearly have to earn his trust with Hyde defaulting to veterans. Vavra had earned his trust for a little bit offensively (defense is a whole other ball of wax), but when he started slumping Hyde went back to the vets. I would like to see more play for Stowers, but Hyde clearly prefers to play his veterans. Add to that Santander has been excellent, it looks like Mountcastle might be getting on a hot streak, and Hays is the superior defender, and it’s hard to find bats. 

So relative to Urias and 2B, last year I believe the consensus was 2B was his best defensive position, this year he is playing above average at 3B so he must have a decent arm. I have seen posters say he is poor at 2B to justify Odor. Odor has a strong arm and can turn the DP well. Is Urias really a below average defensive 2B?