2022 Ongoing Lineup Thread

OsFanSinceThe80s

3 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

So relative to Urias and 2B, last year I believe the consensus was 2B was his best defensive position, this year he is playing above average at 3B so he must have a decent arm. I have seen posters say he is poor at 2B to justify Odor. Odor has a strong arm and can turn the DP well. Is Urias really a below average defensive 2B?

Bbref dWAR and Fangraphs DEF both have Urias significantly better at 3B this year than 2B/SS last year. He doesn't have the strongest arm but he does everything else at 3B well. 

10 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

So relative to Urias and 2B, last year I believe the consensus was 2B was his best defensive position, this year he is playing above average at 3B so he must have a decent arm. I have seen posters say he is poor at 2B to justify Odor. Odor has a strong arm and can turn the DP well. Is Urias really a below average defensive 2B?

His OAA this year is 0 at second.  Last year it was -4.

SSS overall though.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Bbref dWAR and Fangraphs DEF both have Urias significantly better at 3B this year than 2B/SS last year. He doesn't have the strongest arm but he does everything else at 3B well. 

It does surprise me a bit that they clearly feel Urias at 3B and Henderson at 2B is a better defensive option than flipping them, given that Henderson has played 7 games at 2B in his professional career, 6 at Norfolk, and Urias has played  hundreds of games at 2B in his professional career. I am not arguing in any way, it just surprises me a little.

15 minutes ago, HelenaEngineer said:

It does surprise me a bit that they clearly feel Urias at 3B and Henderson at 2B is a better defensive option than flipping them, given that Henderson has played 7 games at 2B in his professional career, 6 at Norfolk, and Urias has played  hundreds of games at 2B in his professional career. I am not arguing in any way, it just surprises me a little.

I think it is more about Urias's performance at 3B and he has been very solid. Eventually Gunnar will be 3B or SS but for now I think he helps most at 2B. That gets Odor out of the lineup and does the least disruption to a defense that is playing great.

1 hour ago, AnythingO's said:

I think Urias could hold his own against Odor at 2B.  

33 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I think it is more about Urias's performance at 3B and he has been very solid. Eventually Gunnar will be 3B or SS but for now I think he helps most at 2B. That gets Odor out of the lineup and does the least disruption to a defense that is playing great.

Yes and isn't 2B a more active position (chances, and range) than 3B, espec. with a RHP starter and more lefties in the opposing lineup?

(Edit: just after I posted this, the game starts with two fielding gems by Henderson at 2B!! :))

Edited by now

1 minute ago, Fiver6565 said:

Really surprised Aguilar getting this much play vs RH pitching. They must be seeing something that has then expecting a breakout from him. I guess he has hit a couple/few balls hard. Hope they’re right!!

Besides the GW homer, I have not been that impressed with Stowers.   He really extends his arms and has trouble with anything inside.  He doesn't seem to adjust to the location of the pitch.    He's dangerous but it looks like he can be pitched to.   Aguilar looked terrible his first game but has had some good AB's since then, just missing a homer to LF and lining out to RF.    Also, Vavra has really tailed off so I don't have a problem giving Aguilar AB's.

19 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Really surprised Aguilar getting this much play vs RH pitching. They must be seeing something that has then expecting a breakout from him. I guess he has hit a couple/few balls hard. Hope they’re right!!

Gausman has reverse splits. I bet Stowers and/or Vavra starts Game 2.

• Upvote 2