The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

Yep, you can kiss any thought of a BRob extension goodbye. Also, if I were Kakes, I'd go to AM and PA and tell them A) I'm not going to extend and B) please trade me within the next year-and-a-half.

Yep the Orioles are going to be bottom feeding for the next half decade, maybe more...

We might top Toronto if we are lucky, but that's as high as we'll get.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well...now it's time for us to go and find the next "Tex". Hopefully AM has some deals cooked up for Roberts, Huff, and whoever else can bring us in some high profile prospects. Let the rebuilding go forward.

Peter Angelos has no one to blame for this but himself. He let this organization get into the shape its in right now. If this team had been competitive for the last 5 or 6 years, is there any doubt in your mind that Tex would sign here?

On the other hand...their fans will still care if they don't sign him...there are a lot of O's fans that won't.
I agree with that, but I think the "Red Sox are ruining baseball" arguments are just incredibly weak and petty.

At least come with something worth discussing, like whether or not the O's should match/beat an 8/$184M offer. Not crying poor about how the big bad Red Sox are making things so tough for the Orioles.

You're right, Roberts and Markakis you have to think were watching this closely to see if Angelos was willing to go and and get this guy. I don't see why they have an incentive to stay, especially Roberts.

Who cares if Roberts has incentive to stay, he is a good guy, but he is over rated on this board. Trade him away for prospects. The Orioles will never have the financial flexibility to sign $300 Million of new contracts in one offseason. Sustained winning comes from developing talent. Teixeira signing not signing with Baltimore is not the end of the world.

Boston believes their lineup is in a great deal of trouble if they can not land Teixeira. He was their number 1 target from jump street. If the Orioles really though Teixeira would fall into their laps for 7/150 we are in worse shape than I can imagine. Blow up the team. If Markakis will not extend, then trade him for a LaPorta and Escobar type.

If Boston is offering $23mil a year for 8 years of Tex - they can have him. Are you kidding me? That is just absurd. I really like Tex, no doubt - that is a ridiculous amount of money to pay for anyone not named ARod or Pujols, and he is neither.

If this is true - then take the money Tex... but be ready to take a huge amount of booing from your hometown.

He will not be getting booed in fenway south.

You know I don't want to, but if it takes half a decade to get to be a good team, then I will wait. We've all waited a long time.

I'm an Orioles fan and I will still be one tomorrow with or without Tex or with or without a winning season.

It doesn't matter. By then, if any of Tillman/Arrieta/Matusz have panned out, they'll be out of Baltimore and playing for teams like the Sux and Skanks.

Can not be upset that Angelos didn't give $23 Million to a guy who was worth $16-17 Million per. Go get Dunn for $13.5 Million per and Sheet for $13 Million per. Total spent $26.5 Million , Mark Teixeira $23 Million. I like the value we get with that extra $3.5 Million.

I like where your head's at with regard to two good players for the same amount that you'd pay for one great one, but why do people assume we'll just go "get" Dunn and Sheets now? Why would they come here? Do you think the Orioles are the only team that will want/need their services?

I'm not an OH aficionado like everyone else on here, but this theory that we'll just go "get" these guys boggles my mind. Have we not had 11 straight losing seasons? I'm sure that other free agents will be impressed that we couldn't even land a guy who grew up 20 minutes from the freaking stadium.

For the record, I would absolutely beat an 8/$184M deal. I think I'd prefer to go to 8/$192-200M rather than 9/$207M, but either way would still be a contract I'd be willing to give out.

I think if you touch the magic $200M mark, that we'd land him.

Here's a question for everybody.. what if Tex signs this 8 year contract, but there's an Opt out after 4-5 years; and in that time Tex get's his world series title, he opts out and once again he's back in the open bidding world. Should the O's go after him then? Can you really blame him for essentially wanting to guarantee a world series win during his career?

According to some website I've never heard of. Come on, man. We don't know that the O's haven't done the same thing. And it's not up to the Sox brass, it's up to Tex. They can send the whole front office if they want to.

You don't tell the whole Sox organization to come to Tex and talk to Boras if you haven't made up your mind.

Archived