How's Kevin Brown for you? (edited)

slakattack

2 hours ago, Sanfran327 said:

He definitely does - LOL. He'll sit back and crack jokes with Palmer like they're lifelong BFFs and I almost feel sorry for him. Palmer is a good sport though.

I do like him though. Gotta get used to him like anyone else. Having him call a few winning seasons for us will help. 

Took me a while to warm up to Thorne because of his quirks, but loved him in the end. Then again, he gave us "Don't throw it away... DON'T THROW IT AT ALL!!!"

Once KB has his "don't throw it away" moment, everyone will love him. In the meantime, I appreciate him for what he is - a green PxP announcer with a tremendous voice and a weird sense of humor.

I thought his call of Mountcastle's homer to LF was iconic - "He just scaled Mt. Baltimore!  He's a sherpa!"  He's quirky and (like me) a LINY guy so I get it.  Sometimes he's a bit over the top but all in all better than many others IMHO.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, O's84 said:

You got me scared for a minute, I thought he was gone given the thread title.

Yea I immediately googled him. I think the thread title is misleading as well. The one I started is better 😎. Can they be merged? 

And I’m really liking Kevin this year. I watch lots of other team’s broadcasts on mlb.tv, and when Kevin is doing the game, ours can hang with all them in my opinion. Watch a Reds game or a even a Nats game for some perspective. Sure, he’s not Thorne, but he’s good and he’s growing as an announcer.  

• Like 1

He uses pop culture references that Ben doesn’t get which makes for some awkward silences. But that seems to come from the generational gap more than anything. Also, I think all Ben watches on TV is Yellowstone.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

I thought his call of Mountcastle's homer to LF was iconic - "He just scaled Mt. Baltimore!  He's a sherpa!"  He's quirky and (like me) a LINY guy so I get it.  Sometimes he's a bit over the top but all in better than many others.

Really a LINY guy? What exit off the Southern State or Northern State?

34 minutes ago, byrdz said:

He uses pop culture references that Ben doesn’t get which makes for some awkward silences. But that seems to come from the generational gap more than anything. Also, I think all Ben watches on TV is Yellowstone.

Also nerd culture references.   Last year at one point he strained to refer back to Glenn Gulliver so he could make a bad dad well-traveled Gulliver's Travels joke, and the ensuing eight seconds there was complete silence from the Brown-McDonald booth.    It was pretty fantastic.

You don't have to know anything about Jonathan Swift to analyze baseball, but I enjoyed that Brown thought he was setting up his color guy there.

28 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Really a LINY guy? What exit off the Southern State or Northern State?

Southern State - at South Nassau CH exit - Rockville Center.  I lived in Baldwin, about 4 miles or so.  I knew a guy who commuted that used to exit and reenter just before/after the toll booth.  Toll was 10 cents then.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Southern State - at South Nassau CH exit - Rockville Center.  I lived in Baldwin, about 4 miles or so.  I knew a guy who commuted that used to exit and reenter just before/after the toll booth.  Toll was 10 cents then.

I remember getting fish from a great aquarium store on Sunrise Hwy.,but I am sure it is not there anymore. I think it was in Valley Stream or Lynbrook? Ed's Aquarium? But I am from Queens. As the Ramones said "It's not hard,not far to reach We can hitch a ride to Rockaway Beach".

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

I remember getting fish from a great aquarium store on Sunrise Hwy.,but I am sure it is not there anymore. I think it was in Valley Stream or Lynbrook? Ed's Aquarium? But I am from Queens. As the Ramones said "It's not hard,not far to reach We can hitch a ride to Rockaway Beach".

LOL - been to Rockaway Beach many times - I lived in Richmond Hill before we escaped to the burbs.

• Like 1

He’s not bad. I definitely like him better than Scott Garceau or Jim Hunter. I think he is very knowledgeable about baseball, albeit a nerdy wierd dude. I do like the analytical things he brings. I admit the Star Wars references are a bit of a turn off. And the Hamilton discussion, who cares? A classic Ben response when he asked Ben if he had Disney Plus. Ben replied with a quick turse, “No.” I had to crack up as Kevin realized that was not a good topic to bring up, not with Ben anyway. 😂

I hope that he learns to say less at times. Vin Scully, Jon Miller, Joe Buck, etc…the good ones rarely got as excited as Kevin does. When they did, it was an exciting moment. It was not very little thing that happens. There are times when he acts like a teenage boy on his first date.

I actually enjoy Brett Hollander and Geoff Arnold on radio. Melanie Newman is getting better, and growing on me as well.

We really were spoiled with Chuck Thompson, Jon Miller, Gary Thorne, Joe Angel, Fred Manfra, and Mel Proctor. 

• Upvote 2

• Tony-OH changed the title to How's Kevin Brown for you? (edited)