Is the pitching good?

Sports Guy

53 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d say the pitching hasn’t been awful.  That’s a big step up.  There are a few signs in your numbers that there could be tougher times ahead.  I pretty much expect that.  But when you look at how putrid our pitching has been the last several years, just being somewhat below average would be a huge improvement.   

🎯🎯🎯and at least worthy of watching, big improvement. But my question is this: will Elias be a BUYER at the deadline? Sure would send the right message and plenty of amo with a top ranked system. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

🎯🎯🎯and at least worthy of watching, big improvement. But my question is this: will Elias be a BUYER at the deadline? Sure would send the right message and plenty of amo with a top ranked system. 

To be a buyer during the year, most of the time, you have to be a contender.  The Os aren’t a contender.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You mean the level that says we have lots of high strike out guys headlined by Hall and GRod?

You think he will make, literally, a ballpark altering decision because of a few MiL/ML pitchers we currently have, many of which will not be contributors when this team is a contender?

I wouldn't call Hall and G Rod "lots". Pretty much everyone else in the organization other than Kremer is average at best. I am thinking of Means, Zimmerman, Tyler Wells, Akin etc. I wouldn't say missing bats is a particular strength of the organization.

Just now, Aristotelian said:

I wouldn't call Hall and G Rod "lots". Pretty much everyone else in the organization other than Kremer is average at best. I am thinking of Means, Zimmerman, Tyler Wells, Akin etc. I wouldn't say missing bats is a particular strength of the organization.

Well, those are the 2 they are counting on.  They also have other arms, like Pinto, who miss a ton of bats.  

Means misses bats at an average or above average rate.  Zimmerman is right around league average as well. Maybe slightly below but not by much.  

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, those are the 2 they are counting on.  They also have other arms, like Pinto, who miss a ton of bats.  

Means misses bats at an average or above average rate.  Zimmerman is right around league average as well. Maybe slightly below but not by much.  

Yep, and Bradish's K rate is pretty good. Still, you add it up and we are currently near the bottom..I do hope Grayson and Hall move the needle somewhat but we have a lot of ground to make up.

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Yep, and Bradish's K rate is pretty good. Still, you add it up and we are currently near the bottom..I do hope Grayson and Hall move the needle somewhat but we have a lot of ground to make up.

Sure, we are near the bottom but I don't think that has anything to do with moving the fences back.

Man, nothing beats a SG started thread.  It starts with an innocent question, inviting you in to opine...

...only so he can smack you down with the hard ****ing truth, that NO, things aren't as good as you think they are and we need to make trades.  TRADES.  TRADES!  Lots of TRADES!

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Man, nothing beats a SG started thread.  It starts with an innocent question, inviting you in to opine...

...only so he can smack you down with the hard ****ing truth, that NO, things aren't as good as you think they are and we need to make trades.  TRADES.  TRADES!  Lots of TRADES!

Lol..nah not this thread.  I actually have no idea what to expect from some of these guys.  If I had to guess, ZImmerman could be a keeper in the rotation for a few years but not sure I buy anyone else.  (Caveat being I haven’t seen enough of Bradish yet)

Something about Wells make me think he won’t last as a starter but that’s not fair to label him that way yet.

BP could be for real especially if Wells ends up back there.

47 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

All the trades that have previously been floated have been more trading away proven talent to get prospective talent.  (Mullins, Mancini, Santander, Means...)

Sounds like you're suggesting trading away prospective talent to get proven talent?  Is that correct?  What top ranked ammo are you trading away?  Who are you trying to get to supplement the team?

This seems to show how much the defense is helping? pitching to contact more and trusting the guys in the field. We are about middle of the pack in runs allowed, 16th. Doesn’t hurt that the defense is a double play machine, 2nd in baseball. 

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Lol..nah not this thread.  I actually have no idea what to expect from some of these guys.  If I had to guess, ZImmerman could be a keeper in the rotation for a few years but not sure I buy anyone else.  (Caveat being I haven’t seen enough of Bradish yet)

Something about Wells make me think he won’t last as a starter but that’s not fair to label him that way yet.

BP could be for real especially if Wells ends up back there.

BP volatility is interesting but there are pieces to like there.  

Zimmerman seems to have some much improved stuff.   I can't remember where I saw it but IIRC someone said he had an elite slider right now.  I haven't seen a lot of Bradish either but it looks like he's got some nasty breaking stuff.  Definitely encouraged by 11ks, no walks in his last start.

IMO, that's the big thing so far for me.  While they're in the middle of the pack for a lot of these things, they're certainly not at the back of it.  They're trending in the right direction so far without the help of G-Rod, Hall, and not a lot of Bradish or quality FA pickups.  They're not walking as many as they used to.  A guy like Akin is constantly pounding the zone and attacking, Zimmerman too...whereas I think like a year or so ago they'd be nibbling.  

I don't think it's an amazing staff but again...trending in the right direction and better than years past.  I don't know how to look at these stats and compare them to where they were 32 games into the 2021 season but I'd be curious to see how they rank compared to last year.  

It’s pretty simple, right now we’re piece meaning games. It’s early in the season so we have had fresh arms. To sustain this success we need to add GR and Hall to the mix. 

GR should be up and in the rotation ASAP. Hall should spot start and be sent down right after his start. If Hall is only pitching 3-4 IP, then let him pitch some of those in the MLB. 

I don’t know how long our current group can sustain this without supplementing them with GR and Hall. It’s tough to do this with dealing away Sulser and Scott. Plus losing Means. 

It’s pretty remarkable what has happened so far. It would be nice to see small moves made to supplement the pitching and just not set it up to fail. 

28 minutes ago, byrdz said:

This seems to show how much the defense is helping? pitching to contact more and trusting the guys in the field. We are about middle of the pack in runs allowed, 16th. Doesn’t hurt that the defense is a double play machine, 2nd in baseball. 

Also moving the wall back has certainly been a factor in the HR rate improving.