Teixeira Watch: Part VII- Owner Says Sox Are Out

adjones10

I wouldn't trust any report from a local TV news reporter that hasn't been reported elsewhere. These guys do very little investigation and mostly just pick up stuff reported elsewhere.

I wouldn't trust any report.

Reports, opinions, the latest this, the latest that. None of it means

anything or can be confirmed until Tex actually signs. Even then, the only

thing that can be confirmed is the contract he signs.

Will the loser in the Tex bidding actually confirm what they put on the table?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess I feel like he has the power to be the "voice" of the fans, and he doesn't use it. More often than not, he goes against the average fan. Just MO.

Roch took some pretty hard knocks from fans in the last few days, and he has reacted (uncharacteristically) to those hard knocks. People have accused hiim of being a puppet, a mouthpiece, a toadie, and I'm not sure what else. He resented being called those names - he resented the allegations that his fans made about him.

He usually just lets that stuff roll off his back, but he did not this time. I have seen him loosening up a bit even in the last couple of posts. Back to the old Roch.

Last night before the news of boston dropping out I thought everyone was too down at that point. Now after the news I think alot of people may be way too optimistic. I am still not convinced PA is ready to step up and make the kind of offer needed to land Tex.

I know there have been reports that Tex prefers the east coast. But the Angels are the one team that does scare me in this. Especially after reading Torii Hunter's quote last night AFTER news broke the Red Sox were out.

"What the Angels did was spectacular, they gave him an offer that blew everyone away, and it shows how badly they want this guy," Hunter said. "I'm so happy they did that. I can sleep better at night. We can't let Tex go. He's very special on this team."

Maybe he knows something about the Angels offer we don't??? I do believe that Tex wants to play on the East Coast, but I also believe that for the right price he could go back to the Angels.

I just hope this ends soon I can't take much more of this...

NOBODY in the media has said we are front runners for Tex, most of them have us as the third or fourth option.

Actually a few days ago Karl Ravech had a report that the lure of the hometown keeps bringing Boras back to the Orioles... granted it's the only report, but it's at least something.

I love Roch, he brings alot of daily news to us fans that would not be accessible if he was not there blogging about it for us.

In regards to this Tex situation, he is just trying to be cautious and trying to be a voice of counter-intuitiveness IMO.

He wants us to get Tex, I truly believe that, and lets be honest...Why wouldn't he?

I think he is just taking the smart approach to this whole thing, and hoping to be proven wrong, and in his position, I cannot say I blame him.

If the O's want to be able to contend in the Al east within the next few years they are going to have to pony up the money. It starts with being able to sign a top tier free agent like Tex, to show the group of players you already have that you would like to sign to extentions that you are commited to doing what it takes to field a competitive ball club. If they are not willing to spend and spend big I believe we will see them clean house. If they truly are commited to building on what they have I believe Tex is the final peice that solidifies our lineup. Next is pitching and I don't believe we should spend big on pitching because we have enough young talent that will be ready in the next couple years, but we do need to try to find some diamonds in the ruff!!

And the backtracking begins:

FoxSports.com's Ken Rosenthal still believes the Red Sox will be the eventual landing spot for Teixeira, but questions if the free agent is worth the money reportedly on the table

Next report from Onley and Gammons will probably say the same thing...

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/12/teixeira_talk_r.html

Cashman denies having the bigger offer.

Same news from the Angels - they think they have a fair offer out there.

I agree with Rosenthal that he is not worth the dollars he's going to get. But to use the MVP balloting as part of your rationale is a joke. Come on Ken, you're better than that. Should have stopped at the OPS talk.

FoxSports.com's Ken Rosenthal still believes the Red Sox will be the eventual landing spot for Teixeira, but questions if the free agent is worth the money reportedly on the table

Rosenthal was the MAN when he worked for the Sun. Since then, he's lost it. I remember reading his columns... one in particular where I think he likened Angelos to Mickey Mouse. The guy was hilarious.

Just a quick thought about ESPN. I think we should be careful when discussing the people at ESPN in a conspiratorial light. Do they have an agenda? Yes. Reader-ship/viewer-ship.

The longer the Tex drama remains, the better it is for business. Boston and NY are the two largest sports markets and bitter rivals. Discussing them is good for business. But don't think for a moment that ESPN folks will be disappointed by Tex signing with Baltimore. If the Orioles gain relevance again in the public eye, if we surge back into contention in short order, then great, more competition=better stories to tell=viewership.

I have to disagree, in part. Yes, this is all about the Red Sox - Yankees rivalry and keeping that their top byline (particularly since Bonds was forced into retirement). However, we have a former local beat writer, Buster Olney, reporting we have no business being at the poker table. If Teixeira signs here, it was because the Orioles, in complete disregard of the economy, way overpaid for Teixeira's services. Moreover, the spin is Boston made the shrewd move drawing their line in the sand where they did. Tex, by himself, won't put us back in contention anytime soon. They'll view his signing here as ARod in Texas II.

Rosenthal hasn't been biting on every Boras rumor and has done a respectable job. And the last part of his piece doesn't sound like backtracking...

The Teixeira deal will be a head-scratcher, no matter which team gives it to him. But a lot of unfortunate things would need to happen for it to be a mistake.

Archived