Adley is in the Show!

Sports Guy

You certainly have to give Adley time to adjust to the Majors and he'll most likely have some form of success, maybe not enough for many here. People are grasping at any positives he does show. For example, last week he caught a 10-0 shutout, praising what a GREAT game he called... a few days later the O's lost a game by a similar score that he caught, was that a lousy game he called? Calling a good game requires three parts, good scouting, the call and the pitcher hitting the spots.  Also, framing...he certainly is "quiet" behind the plate but I've noticed some not so subtle glove movements on borderline pitches. He blocks well and gets rid of the ball quickly and I think the Chirinos signing was a huge plus. He'll grow and learn.

28 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Judge hit .179 his first year in the majors.

I wasn't expecting .145 from Adley, but there is still hope!

There were also a lot of questions about Judge and his ability to hit and make contact when he was drafted.  So you could say Judge’s struggles were almost expected by many.  Now, he’s worked hard and made adjustments and improvements since his draft day, obviously. 

He was also not the consensus 1st overall pick with the resume and hit/contact and plate discipline tools that  Adley was advertised as having by every single draft expert in existence. 

So while I get your point, not really a fair comp IMO. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Maybe that duck fart Adley hit yesterday will be what gets him going.

Probably not, but it's nice to dream.

Sometimes that happens.  

This is a digression, but I think as a catcher Adley is appealing check swings to the 1B/3B umpire way too often.  I haven’t seen the home plate ump overruled even once when he does it, and I’m sure the home plate umps get annoyed when calls that aren’t that close get appealed.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Maybe that duck fart Adley hit yesterday will be what gets him going.

Probably not, but it's nice to dream.

Yesterday on 105.7’s  pregame show Billy Ripken said basically the same thing.  Something like Adley needs an excuse-me base hit and then he’ll hit a homerun his next AB.  We’ll see tonight.   

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

Yesterday on 105.7’s  pregame show Billy Ripken said basically the same thing.  Something like Adley needs an excuse-me base hit and then he’ll hit a homerun his next AB.  We’ll see tonight.   

Yeah, cause Billy Ripken knows ALL about hitting homers.  

I kid, I kid.  I hope he's correct.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, spleen1015 said:

Judge hit .179 his first year in the majors.

I wasn't expecting .145 from Adley, but there is still hope!

Judge also struck out 42 times in 84 ABs and looked completely overwhelmed in the few times I saw him.  Hitting is tough, and making the jump from the minors to the show is hard.  

Regarding Adley, I am not yet concerned.  He doesn’t appear to be overmatched so much as he appears to be out of sync.  With that said, the big concern is always how well guys can handle elite velocity, and I have not seen enough of him to come to any conclusion on that front. 

Edited by jdwilde1
Typo
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

Judge also struck out in 42 times in 84 ABs and looked completely overwhelmed in the few times I saw him.  Hitting is tough, and making the jump from the minors to the show is hard.  

Regarding Adley, I am not yet concerned.  He doesn’t appear to be overmatched so much as he appears to be out of sync.  With that said, the big concern is always how well guys can handle elite velocity, and I have not seen enough of him to come to any conclusion on that front. 

I'm mildly concerned.  

He sees a lot of pitches, he's patient and his overall approach is awesome and I've said earlier that I think he already has the most professional at-bats out of anyone on the team so far.  He's hit some balls really hard at defenders.  Without looking at the stats, I would venture to say he's been a bit unlucky.  

But I have seen him swing and miss at what look to have been some very hittable pitches.  I've seen a lot of swing and miss moments that I'd expect from someone like Mountcastle instead.

From behind the plate he seems to be technically sound.  I like how he greets pitchers as they finish innings and I think that's something you're going to see other catchers doing in the future.

It's still obviously too early to draw any conclusions but the early returns haven't been great.  I'm sure he'll end up being fine but the early-going here hasn't been great, that's for sure.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He sees a lot of pitches, he's patient and his overall approach is awesome and I've said earlier that I think he already has the most professional at-bats out of anyone on the team so far.  He's hit some balls really hard at defenders.  Without looking at the stats, I would venture to say he's been a bit unlucky.  

But I have seen him swing and miss at what look to have been some very hittable pitches.  I've seen a lot of swing and miss moments that I'd expect from someone like Mountcastle instead.

Absolutely.  He has a sound approach and a good eye, but then he is not punishing very hittable mistakes. That’s exactly why I am not concerned yet.  With his track record, sooner or later he is not going to miss the mistakes.  Now, if he starts getting consistently overpowered by good fastballs then I’ll worry.  I’ve said it before, if you can’t handle a major league fastball you can’t hit.

• Upvote 1

There are no sure things in baseball.  Today, the Giants sent Joey Bart down to Triple A.  He was the #2 overall pick in 2008 and the heir apparent to Posey.  It hasn't worked out as planned.  It is a though success as a major league ball player is not easy. 

Interestingly, the Giants have obtained our friend Austin Wynns from the Phillies organization.  Wynns has been tearong up the Triple A in for them.

38 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

There are no sure things in baseball.  Today, the Giants sent Joey Bart down to Triple A.  He was the #2 overall pick in 2008 and the heir apparent to Posey.  It hasn't worked out as planned.  It is a though success as a major league ball player is not easy. 

Interestingly, the Giants have obtained our friend Austin Wynns from the Phillies organization.  Wynns has been tearong up the Triple A in for them.

Wynns has turned into Ted Williams this year with a .504 OBP and .365 batting average in AAA.