Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe some of the folks there have been banned here.

I don't understand the animosity, either. I like reading the Ravens board over there...some very knowledgeable fans.

I forgot that a long time ago, I used to read their high school sports forum. People over there were knowledgeable, as you say. It's hard to believe the same site contains those people as well as the idiots posting pseudo-news.

Can anyone tell me why the O's didn't draft Tex back in 1998?

Also, looking back...its a shame Cliff Lee didn't sign when he was drafted in the 20th. With Tex and Lee, that would have been a nice haul.

He was a 1st-round talent, but most were pretty convinced that he would be going to college, so he slipped a bit. Once he slipped a bit, the Red Sox put out word that he was demanding top-10 money even if he went in the 3rd-5th round, so he slipped even further until the Red Sox took him in the 9th round. He didn't sign with them.

Nobody knows for sure what he would have required to sign if the O's had grabbed him say in the 4th round or so, but the overwhelming opinion at the time was that he would have had to have been paid a ton to walk out on his scholarship.

Tex was the 5th overall pick in the 2001 draft. We picked after that, so we couldn't get him.

Of course, we all do. But there must be some source of discipline. Could you imagine what this place would be like if the mods decided to take a day off? It would be pandemonium. :laughlol:

Also, looking back...its a shame Cliff Lee didn't sign when he was drafted in the 20th. With Tex and Lee, that would have been a nice haul.

Oh 1998 draft, when he was coming out of hs... I dunno? Maybe he declared he was going to college no matter what? Maybe he wasn't a blue chip hs prospect? I really don't remember since I wasn't even in hs yet.

From the man directly:
I thought I wanted to sign. The day of the draft I realized that I didn't. I realized that I wasn't ready to go into professional baseball. I wanted to go to college. I thought as a young, naive, 18-year-old, because I played well and because I was honest with everybody, I would just be a first-round pick, million bucks, and start my career. Because of the way things occurred, it occurred to me--you know what? I don't want to be a professional baseball player, I do want to go to college. It really was a blessing in disguise.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/features/261292.html

Apparently the posters over there think that The OH is run too tight. I saw a post mentioning bans. But to be honest I would much rather have a board like this one that is moderated, versus a board like The Sun where people just do whatever they want.

They have been whining about that for years. They are just envious a place like this can work well with rules in place and people acting like adults, and that board cannot.

He was a 1st-round talent, but most were pretty convinced that he would be going to college, so he slipped a bit. Once he slipped a bit, the Red Sox put out word that he was demanding top-10 money even if he went in the 3rd-5th round, so he slipped even further until the Red Sox took him in the 9th round. He didn't sign with them.

Nobody knows for sure what he would have required to sign if the O's had grabbed him say in the 4th round or so, but the overwhelming opinion at the time was that he would have had to have been paid a ton to walk out on his scholarship.

Thanks for the info. Let's hope he's good at holding a grudge.

Oh. Maybe he wanted to go to college and didn't want to sign?

It had something to do with the Red Sox spreading rumors he wanted first round money regardless of when he was drafted. Apparently, his bitterness toward the Red Sox was a big enough deal that Rangers teammates were aware of it.

Archived