Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

This is a great blog by Roy Johnson from Yahoo Sports.

"Mark Teixeira is losing friends" - http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/post/Mark-Teixeira-is-losing-friends;_ylt=AlpV4XKP_2vlZeckkFqRTnMRvLYF?urn=top,130612

"In fact, you're both beginning to bore a lot of people, from coast-to-coast. Already two teams -- the Boston Red Sox and Los Angeles/Anaheim Angels -- have grown weary of you. Both have said they're done with the game, done with your apparent need for a contract worth more than $160 million over eight years."

That is quite funny.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Daily radio show "The Sports Reporters" in DC talked Mark Teixeira a few minutes ago mostly from the Nationals viewpoint.

-Andy Polin

-Thom Loverro (Washington Times)

-Kevin Blackistone (AOL Sports and frequent guest on ESPN's Around the Horn)

Here are a few quotes FWIW

"I can’t see under any circumstances that he wouldn’t wind up in Boston." – Thom

"In Boston, he’s a piece of the puzzle, if he comes here [DC] there’s tons of pressure." – Thom

"Even if they [the Nats] do this for the purpose of showing everyone they are players… I like it. They haven’t done ANYTHING like this before." – Thom

All three comment on how they would much prefer to have Manny

"With Manny, even the bad Manny is good here because he creates buzz." – Andy

Regarding the Nats signing Daniel Cabrera

"I think it’s worth a shot. He seemed to pitch better last year. The Nationals think they have a pitching coach who can fix pitchers [Randy St. Claire]." -Thom

Well, Roch says it is looking not so good.

http://masnsports.com/2008/12/the-days-second-teixeira-refer.html

"The Orioles aren't setting up for a press conference today to introduce Mark Teixeira to the local media. They're not arranging a physical. Optimism isn't flowing through the halls of the B&O warehouse."

Come on Roch, would it KILL you to be positive about this for five minutes? :confused:

I think all of this talk about Mark Teixeira has gone completely NUTTY.

Okay, so he's a nice player... but come on. This guy is no D. Jeter. He might have a better personality and be a better teammate than A-Rod, but he certainly isn't as "skilled." He doesn't have the absolute game changing ability of, say Manny... and if he does, I simply haven't seen it. And, it's funny, I have a ton of friends -- including one die-hard Braves fan -- make very similar comments.

And I have to agree ---

So why are people talking about $180 million for this Teixeira guy??? Why are Oriole fans so desperate - despite the fact that our team is far away from needing to dole out the cash for a player like this -- for this guy? This is almost like the phenomena car shoppers or ebayers have. They get attached to an item and start over bidding or over-valuing. They covet.

I look at these absolutely ABSURD offerings to Mark Teixeira and simply roll my eyes. They are completely ABSURD. All of this $$$ for a player that hasn't carried a team... or proven to be an invaluable Captain... that hasn't come up big in the playoff crunch or the W.S.

A week ago, I wrote that I would be really frustrated if the Red Sox get this guy on his team. But, after having watched this LAME draw-out process drag-on... I'm actually sick of Mark Teixeira. I hope he does go to Boston. I hope they absolutely OVERPAY for his services... and I hope he plays his days out there in a Mike Greenwell-esqu form. And I further hope that Tampa Rays take their young stud - Longoria... who, I might add actually did step up the playoffs and put on a Mega-SHOW... and their other talented players to Boston to stop the Red Sox inside and out. Crush them.

Please, Orioles, don't give this Teixeira guy the cash. When the time is right there will be others like him... or better... waiting.

This is pretty ridiculous. Mark Teixeira is an elite player. You're right, he's not Derek Jeter, he's head and shoulders above Derek Jeter.

Oh I'm not questioning their motives, I applaud going after the most generous employer.

I'm just arguing that how much they are renumerated is, and should be, closely related to MLB's profitability and that players should share proportionately.

I agree but that isn't what happens in this rigged system (rigged by the owners in their infinite stupidity) The system is setup so that the players at the very top get salaries well beyond what their skillset would warrant if there was a free market. By the same token there are players at the other end of the spectrum making signficantly less than their skillset would warrant if there was a free market. I'm not one who thinks that the percentage of revenue that gets directed towards player salaries should decrease.

I have a hard time believing that AM and PA didn't think this whole thing through. They drew under 2 million fans last year. There's no way you get involved in something like this without the balls to see it through. It will be a PR nightmare if they don't sign Tex. If beforehand they would have just said that we have a strong nucleus offensively and be patient while our pitchers develop I think most people would have been okay with that. But to get involved in this and to throw the lowest offer out there, these men would have to be incredibly stupid or willing to draw 1.5 million fans in 2009. They will up their offer.

Regarding the Nats signing Daniel Cabrera

"I think it’s worth a shot. He seemed to pitch better last year. The Nationals think they have a pitching coach who can fix pitchers [Randy St. Claire]." -Thom

:rofl: I appreciate the optimism. Good for them.

Well, for me, considering the whooplah around the Orioles wanting to bring Teix home, I can't understand their conclusions here. Especially when there's little credible information floating about...

Forget about the insiders reporting about what the O's might be able to do... Quietly putting an offer out there and not adjusting it as other teams make adjustments could be intrpreted as a lack of serious interest, no?

Again, forgetting what you hear from these boards, with the way the Orioles have approached negotiations are you really suprised at the speculation?

:rofl: I appreciate the optimism. Good for them.

He seemed to pitch BETTER last year?

WHAT?

It kills me how myopic these guys can be.

I don't see how Tex is a "piece of a puzzle" in Boston when they need to move three guys to find room for him.

Tex is a piece in NYC, they need a firstbaseman and could really use some needed young pop in the lineup. He is a piece in Baltimore, crown jewel of a legit rebuilding effort. He is a piece in DC, marquee name to bring in fans.

He is a luxury in Boston.

Did anyone see where Drew Forrester has posted in his blog on wnst that he has been in contact with his guy about Tex and his guy said "relax it's all good"?

http://wnst.net/wordpress/drewforrester/2008/12/22/tex-update-from-my-associate/

I hope to God he is right. That said, I wouldn't trust Drew Forrester to feed my rabbit while I am out of town!

Come on Roch, would it KILL you to be positive about this for five minutes? :confused:

Roch says things like that for THIS very purpose... we are now talking about his blog and giving it more hits than if he was simply going along for the ride. Personally, he is annoying me, and I don't read his blog for that reason.

Tex is a piece in NYC, they need a firstbaseman and could really use some needed young pop in the lineup. He is a piece in Baltimore, crown jewel of a legit rebuilding effort. He is a piece in DC, marquee name to bring in fans.

He is a luxury in Boston.

Agree 100%

Good post

Here's what I think, feel free to shoot it down. I think Teixeira wants to play in Baltimore. I also think that Boras will let it happen, but at the most money offered. I believe AM told both to come back to the O's once they've recieved all offers. Boras is trying to get other teams to bid to raise the offer that the O's would match with. The Angels, Sox, and maybe the Nationals may have gotten wise to this and are not as keen to raise their offers. I also believe that if the Red Sox truly had the best chance to get Teixeira, the Yankees would be more aggressive. I don't think they care if Tex goes to the O's but would not be too happy if he becomes a Red Sox. I don't blame AM for just throwing out a large offer for Tex, when in the end he may get him for cheaper.

Archived