Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understood what you were saying. And you completely ignored my point that all the best young hitters are being locked up long term.

Please tell me who these younger, more talented hitters are who you think would be a better way to spend that kind of money, and when we will be able to sign them.

There will always be attractive FA but personally I'd try to avoid the 8-10 year deal which rarely work out well.

New article up on MLBTRADERUMORS. I don't know how to quote and don't want to violate rules, so I will suggest that people check it out. It does not look good for us.

How do you figure?

The Nationals are insisting that they are going to hold pat on their offer because they don't expect to win a bidding war for Tex. They are rumored to be around 8/160.

Boras is trying to get the Yankees in the fold but they will not bite. They stated/leaked that they would go 8/160.

(This scares me a little: )

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2008/12/sunday_morning_teixeira_though.html

Edit:

I take that back... it's not really anything I haven't seen before. Of course Tex is on board with Boras... Boras is going to get him a big, big payday.

New article up on MLBTRADERUMORS. I don't know how to quote and don't want to violate rules, so I will suggest that people check it out. It does not look good for us.

I really do not think its that bad. It would seem that the offers Tex is getting are not what Boras would want. Even so, I think the Yankees will not be in as hard on tex then we are.

What if you went to your hometown team and led them to that point? Look at our farm system, we are being built to compete with Theo's $100 million player development machine. With Tex in the middle of our lineup, 2010, 2011 don't look too bad.

Yes, I agree that the Orioles are an attractive team at this point. I've written that in previous posts. My point in the post you quoted was that there are plenty of good reasons to come to Boston.

There will always be attractive FA but personally I'd try to avoid the 8-10 year deal which rarely work out well.

Fair enough... I just think Tex is good enough, and durable enough to be worth the risk, because of the positive chain reaction he could have (extending Roberts and Markakis, getting other FA's to come here, getting more fans in the seats in the short-term, and hopefully long-term if everything else falls into place).

I wouldn't have a problem having that big contract in those declining years. The Orioles have already spent 11 losing years without a contract like that. What's the worst that could happen if we sign Teixeira, 8-10 more losing seasons? So what? I'm willing to take the chance that this signing helps the team significantly. If it doesn't, at least you made the effort. We can't get any worse than we've already been.

From what I just read on MLBTradeRumors...

1. The Yankees don't seem to really be in it that much.

2. The Red Sox are out of it.

3. The Nationals "abslutely do not expect to sign Tex."

So doesn't that just leave the Orioles?

Exactly. That was my analysis. If you eliminate the Angels (see East Coast desire), and the Yankees (234 million on ONLY two players), and Red Sox (Henry says they're out), and Nationals (they do not expect to sign Tex). So that leaves the Orioles.

Of course - we don't know if the Red Sox are out even though Henry said so.

But Scott Boras doesn't want to let on the fact that is true so that's why all of this is so tight-lipped and secret.

Yes, I agree that the Orioles are an attractive team at this point. I've written that in previous posts. My point in the post you quoted was that there are plenty of good reasons to come to Boston.

I appreciate your style. I like Boston fans, they are usually very analytical. There are a lot of great reasons for Tex to go to Boston - 1. a large sum of money and 2. the opportunity to win right away with an established franchise.

I am hoping the allure of an opportunity to lead your favorite childhood team back to glory wins out on even money bids.

Exactly. That was my analysis. If you eliminate the Angels (see East Coast desire), and the Yankees (234 million on ONLY two players), and Red Sox (Henry says they're out), and Nationals (they do not expect to sign Tex). So that leaves the Orioles.

But Scott Boras doesn't want to let on the fact that is true so that's why all of this is so tight-lipped and secret.

Looks like the truth is starting to slip out... the teams are holding firm and Boras can't trick them into bidding against themselves... his magic is running out... he can't even bait the Yanks into it. The Nationals would only be in a bidding war against Angelos, IMO.

Archived