Sedlock is up for Game 1

eddie83

15 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

That just means Chirinos needs to go soon.

I don't think Nottingham breathing down Chirinos' neck yet.   I believe Elias/Hyde see him enough of a culture fit to stick the middle third of the year, and I have a little optimism more appropriate 1-2 games/week use puts some thunder back in his bat.     You can exhaust an old catcher just as much as Brad Brach or throwing Jordan Lyles 120 pitches.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

I don't think Nottingham breathing down Chirinos' neck yet.   I believe Elias/Hyde see him enough of a culture fit to stick the middle third of the year, and I have a little optimism more appropriate 1-2 games/week use puts some thunder back in his bat.     You can exhaust an old catcher just as much as Brad Brach or throwing Jordan Lyles 120 pitches.

Sadly Chirinos is a offense liability now and was probably in his best years. If we have a catcher that can offer close to the similar defense and more offense it’s a no brainer. We don’t need Chirinos for his leadership as the team isn’t competing. The call up can get the feet wet reps this year when it doesn’t matter. BTW, I liked Bemboom but he couldn’t hit either.

11 hours ago, waroriole said:

He did well for 3 innings but Hyder did him dirty and kept him in while giving up 5 runs in the 8th. 

Sedlock isn’t a prospect anymore. He’s an org guy. His job is to eat those innings. He certainly got a first rd round bonus, and has had ever chance to start and relieve in the minors. He had a 9 ERA in AAA. The guy just doesn’t have it. 

Not every team has to hit on high picks but we’re really feeling the loss of the traded comp picks, lost picks for FA, and the drafting for “need” picks of Sedlock, Stewart, and Grenier. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/29/2022 at 5:53 PM, Ohfan67 said:

Is there really a viable option? I think all those AAA catchers are going to suck if they get promoted. 

You could probably find a defensive catcher in the independent league that can hit as well. I’m sure Elias could trade for a decent back up if he was trying to help the club.

20 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Sedlock isn’t a prospect anymore. He’s an org guy. His job is to eat those innings. He certainly got a first rd round bonus, and has had ever chance to start and relieve in the minors. He had a 9 ERA in AAA. The guy just doesn’t have it. 

Not every team has to hit on high picks but we’re really feeling the loss of the traded comp picks, lost picks for FA, and the drafting for “need” picks of Sedlock, Stewart, and Grenier. 

But he didn’t give us any extra outs after 3 really good innings. I think the manager somewhat owes it to the player to let him leave with confidence if he pitches 3 shutout innings in his major league debut. Whether he’s an org guy or a prospect. It was bad bullpen management.